Camp Little Giant Registrations Now Open
Author: Camp Little Giant | Contact: ton.siu.edu
Synopsis: Camp Little Giant summer camp for children and adults of varying abilities and disabilities is now accepting registrations.
Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s Camp Little Giant, the place where children and adults of varying abilities and disabilities enjoy a real summer camp experience, is now accepting registrations for the 2016 season.
The therapeutic recreation camp, which opened in 1952 as one of the nation’s first such programs, gives campers the chance to enjoy swimming, music, boat rides, talent shows, arts and crafts, horseback riding, dances, campfires, nature hikes and activities and much more. Trained staff members adapt each activity to the needs and abilities of the campers.
The co-educational camp is held at the 3,100-acre Touch of Nature Environmental Center, located along the shores of Little Grass Lake about eight miles south of Carbondale on Giant City Road.
There are eight different camp sessions, geared toward differing ages and abilities and ranging from six to 13 days.
The 2016 Camp Little Giant Schedule, along with the special population for which each session is designed, includes:
- June 12-17: Camp Olympia I, for adults 21 and older with high care needs, low mobility or using wheelchairs.
- June 12-24: Camp Olympia II, for adults 21 and older with high care needs, low mobility or using wheelchairs.
- June 19-July 1: Camp Traditions II, for adults ages 21 and older with physical, cognitive or developmental disabilities.
- June 26-July 1: Camp Traditions III, for adults ages 21 and older with physical, cognitive or developmental disabilities.
- July 10-15: Camp Shawnee I, for youths ages 8-21 with physical, cognitive or developmental disabilities.
- July 10-22: Camp Shawnee II, for youths ages 8-21 with physical, cognitive or developmental disabilities.
- July 17-22: Camp Shawnee III, for youths ages 8-21 with physical, cognitive or developmental disabilities.
- July 24-30: Dyna Camp, for youths ages 8-19 with attention deficit, hyperactive disorder.
For those who need less intensive and individualized care and supervision, the cost is $550 for a six-day session or $1,200 for a 13-day session.
The cost for each six-day camp session is $1,000 and a 13-day session is $1,200 if a camper requires one-on-one care and supervision.
The price for the seven-day Dyna Camp is $650 for those needing less assistance or $1,200 for campers needing one-to-one care and supervision.
Some campers may qualify for scholarship assistance. Scholarships and reservations are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Camp registration forms and additional information are online at www.ton.siu.edu or you can call 618/453-1121, ext. 231. You may email email@example.com with further inquiries or for information about day camp options.
In Other News:
You're reading Disabled World. See our homepage for informative disability news, reviews, sports, stories and how-tos. You can also connect with us on social media such as Twitter and Facebook or learn more about Disabled World on our about us page.
Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
Cite This Page (APA): Camp Little Giant. (2016, April 15). Camp Little Giant Registrations Now Open. Disabled World. Retrieved October 28, 2021 from www.disabled-world.com/entertainment/camps/little-giant.php