Patrick Swayze Pancreatic Cancer
Author: Disabled World
Published: 2008-03-06 : (Rev. 2016-06-13)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Patrick Swayze was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in January 2008 and has been undergoing chemotherapy at the Stanford University Medical Center.
Patrick Swayze was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in late January 2008 and has been undergoing chemotherapy and other treatments at the Stanford University Medical Center. The actor's publicist said he is continuing his normal work schedule. According to friends of Swayze's "Ghost" co-stars, Whoopi Goldberg and Demi Moore, the two actresses were devastated to learn of the diagnosis.
Patrick Swayze, born Patrick Wayne Swayze August 18, 1952, is an American dancer, actor, singer and songwriter. Swayze has two brothers and one sister. His brother, Don Swayze, is also an actor. His mother Patsy Swayze is a well known choreographer.
Patrick Swayze was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in late January 2008 and had been undergoing chemotherapy and other treatments at the Stanford University Medical Center.
So is Patrick Swayze dying from cancer
A March 5, 2008 Reuters article reports that Swayze "has a very limited amount of disease, and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far."
Swayze's doctor has confirmed the actor has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer - but insists he's not as close to death as reports suggest.
Some reports have stated he only has five weeks left to live.
This has been denied by his doctor who allegedly said "All of the reports stating the time-frame of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue."
The actor's publicist said he is continuing his normal work schedule. According to friends of Swayze's ''Ghost'' co-stars, Whoopi Goldberg and Demi Moore, the two actresses were devastated to learn of the diagnosis.
The Dalkeith-based president of the Official Patrick Swayze International Fan Club today said her members were "very distressed" at the actor's pancreatic cancer diagnosis.
So what exactly is Pancreatic cancer
Pancreatic cancer is a malignant tumor within the pancreatic gland. The pancreas is a long, flat gland located in the abdomen (behind the stomach) that produces enzymes that help digestion and various hormones that help maintain blood sugar levels.
Each year about 33,000 individuals in the United States are diagnosed with this condition. Early diagnosis of pancreatic cancer is difficult because the symptoms are so non-specific and varied. Cigarette smoking is said to cause a 75% risk increase, and the risk persists for at least a decade after quitting.
Patients diagnosed with pancreatic cancer typically have a poor prognosis partly because the cancer usually causes no symptoms early on, leading to metastatic disease at time of diagnosis. Median survival from diagnosis is around 3 to 6 months, 5 year survival is much less than 5%.
Several studies, including one published June 1, 2007, indicate that B vitamins such as B12, B6, and folate, can reduce the risk of pancreatic cancer when consumed in food, but not when ingested in vitamin tablet form.
Patrick Swayze was in 2 TV shows, "The Renegades" and "North and South", he then went on to do "The Outsiders", and he also had a hit with the 1990 film Ghost.
The actor was voted Sexiest Man Alive by "People" magazine in 1991
UPDATE: Jan. 7, 2009 - Patrick Swayze has tried an experimental drug as part of his pancreatic cancer treatment, and he says he's not giving up despite grim odds. "I'm going through hell, and I've only seen the beginning of it," Swayze says in interview excerpts posted by ABC.
Swayze, 56, also says that surviving five years is "wishful thinking," but that living two more years "seems likely, if you're going to believe the statistics." And he defines "winning" as "not giving up."
Swayze didn't have surgery for his pancreatic cancer because the cancer had already spread when it was diagnosed. His treatment included aggressive chemotherapy and an experimental drug called vatalanib.
Movies Featuring Patrick Swayze Include:
|Dirty Dancing (1987)|
Road House (1989)
Point Break (1991)
Tall Tale: The Unbelievable Adventure (1995)
Three Wishes (1995)
Black Dog (1998)
Get Bruce! (1999)
|Letters from a Killer (1999)|
Forever Lulu (2000)
Donnie Darko (2001)
The Green Dragon (2001)
Waking Up in Reno (2002)
Havana Nights: Dirty Dancing 2 (2003)
|Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights (2004)|
King Solomon's Mines (2004)
Frederick Forsyth's Icon (2005)
Keeping Mum (2006)
The Fox and the Hound 2 (2006)
Christmas in Wonderland (2007)
Powder Blue (2008)
- 1: By 2020 Pancreatic Cancer Will Be 2nd Leading Cause of Cancer Deaths : Pancreatic Cancer Action Network (2014/05/22)
- 2: Discovery Paves Way for Pancreatic Cancer Treatment : University of Notre Dame (2016/11/12)
- 3: Study Reveals Pancreatic Cancer Accelerated by Stress : Columbia University Medical Center (2018/01/15)
- 4: Patrick Swayze Pancreatic Cancer : Disabled World (2008/03/06)
- 5: Pancreatic Cancer: New Drug and Chemotherapy Shrinks Pancreas Tumors : University of Rochester Medical Center (2016/04/06)
- 6: New Method to Diagnose Pancreatic Cancer : University of Gothenburg (2014/03/22)
- 7: Pancreatic Cancer - Making Hard Choices : University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (2012/08/25)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.