Small Intestine Cancer
Author: Sally Rider
Synopsis and Key Points:
Small Intestine Cancer forms in tissues of the small intestine the most common type is Adenocarcinoma.
Main DigestSmall Intestine Cancer forms in tissues of the small intestine. The most common type is Adenocarcinoma. Most of these tumors occur in the part of the small intestine near the stomach. They may grow and block the intestine.
Small Intestine Cancer forms in tissues of the small intestine. The most common type is Adenocarcinoma.
Alternate Names: Small Intestine Adenocarcinoma, Small Intestine Sarcoma, Small Intestine Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor, Small Intestine Carcinoid, Small Intestine Carcinoma
In oncology, small intestine cancer, also small bowel cancer and cancer of the small bowel, is a cancer of the small intestine. It is relatively rare compared to other gastrointestinal malignancies such as gastric cancer (stomach cancer) and colorectal cancer.
Most of these tumors occur in the part of the small intestine near the stomach. They may grow and block the intestine.
Small intestine cancer can be subdivided into duodenal cancer (the first part of the small intestine) and cancer of the jejunum and ileum (the later two parts of the small intestine). Duodenal cancer has more in common with stomach cancer, while cancer of the jejunum and ileum have more in common with colorectal cancer.
The following may be used to diagnose the disease: physical exam and history, laboratory tests, x-rays, barium enema, fecal occult blood test (FOBT), endoscopy, biopsy, CT scan, and/or surgery.
Treatment may include surgery, radiation, biologic therapy, and/or chemotherapy.
The overall 5-year survival rate for resectable Adenocarcinoma is only 20%.
- 1 - Things That Cause Cancer : List of Known Carcinogens in Humans : Disabled World (2014/10/11)
- 2 - Types of Cancer Survival Rate Statistics Table : Disabled World (2010/07/15)
- 3 - No Need for Coffee Cancer Warning in California : U.S. FDA (2018/09/02)
- 4 - Cancer Linked BPA's: Paper Receipts - Plastics - Cans : Thomas C. Weiss (2015/06/03)
- 5 - Bladder Carcinoma: Bladder Cancer Stages and Information : Thomas C. Weiss (2009/04/01)
- 6 - Building a Healthy Immune System to Help Fight Cancer Disease and Illness : Tony Isaacs (2010/04/09)
- 7 - Cancer Awareness Ribbons Color Chart : Disabled World (2019/02/28)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.