Ureter Cancer Information
Author: Sally Rider
Published: Sunday, 5th April 2009 (11 years ago) - Updated: Monday, 20th July 2009 (11 years ago) .
Ureter Cancer forms in transitional cells in the lining of the bladder ureter or renal pelvis.
Main DigestUreter Cancer forms in transitional cells in the lining of the bladder, ureter, or renal pelvis. Risk factors can include prolonged misuse of certain pain medications, smoking cigarettes, exposure to certain dyes and chemicals used in making leather goods, textiles, plastics and/or rubber.
Ureter Cancer forms in transitional cells in the lining of the bladder, ureter, or renal pelvis.
Alternate Names: Metastatic Transitional Cell Carcinoma of the Ureter (Stage IV), Squamous Cell Cancer of the Ureter, Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Ureter, Adenocarcinoma of the Ureter, Ureter Carcinoma
Transitional cells are cells that can change shape and stretch without breaking apart. Misuse of certain pain medications can affect the risk of developing transitional cell cancer of the renal pelvis or ureter.
Risk factors can include prolonged misuse of certain pain medications, smoking cigarettes, exposure to certain dyes and chemicals used in making leather goods, textiles, plastics and/or rubber.
Symptoms may include blood in the urine, persistent back pain, extreme fatigue, unintentional weight loss, and/or painful or frequent urination.
The following tests may be used to diagnose the disease: physical exam and history, urinalysis, ureteroscopy, urine cytology, intravenous pyelogram (IVP), CT scan, and/or ultrasound.
If the cancer is inoperable or unresectable, treatment with radiation and/or chemotherapy may be utilized for palliation, but the prognosis is poor.
Ureter cancer usually affects men more often than women and is more common in people older than 65. The 5-year survival rate is 5% or less.
- 1 - Cancer Linked BPA's: Paper Receipts - Plastics - Cans | Thomas C. Weiss (2015-06-03 09:46:00)
- 2 - Bladder Carcinoma: Bladder Cancer Stages and Information | Thomas C. Weiss (2009-04-01 15:36:00)
- 3 - Building a Healthy Immune System to Help Fight Cancer Disease and Illness | Tony Isaacs (2010-04-09 10:08:00)
- 4 - Cancer Awareness Ribbons Color Chart | Disabled World (2019-02-28 14:02:00)
- 5 - Cancer Survival Rate Statistics by Type of Cancer | Disabled World (2010-07-15 15:07:15)
- 6 - No Need for Coffee Cancer Warning in California | U.S. FDA (2018-09-02 15:08:43)
- 7 - Cancer Causing Agents: List of Currently Known Human Carcinogens | Disabled World (2014-10-11 11:42:17)