Anthem's 'Online Store' Caters to Baby Boomers Looking for Medicare Plans
Author: Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Missouri
The first of the Boomers are now becoming Medicare eligible.
Main DigestBaby Boomers have redefined everything. Now it's time for them to redefine how people shop for Medicare plan offerings by going online. Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield wants to help.
Seventy-six million Baby Boomers were born between 1945 and 1964. The first of the Boomers are now becoming Medicare eligible. These consumers are more comfortable going online than their predecessors, according to Krista Bowers, senior vice president of the senior division of Anthem's parent company.
As a result, Anthem has launched a new "online store" featuring Medicare health care plans. "We know an increasing number of Baby Boomers are searching the Internet for information as well as for goods and services," Bowers said. "It was our goal to create an online experience with health care that mirrors what they might see at retail shopping sites."
Dennis Matheis, president of Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Missouri added, "Medicare can be a very complicated topic. We wanted to simplify it. The best thing about an online experience is visitors can spend as much time as they'd like learning about our Medicare products."
The store can be accessed at www.anthem.com/shop.
There are two main paths in the online store. The "quick quote" is for those who may have already done their research. They can plug in a little information about themselves and quickly get information on a number of Anthem's Medicare products. The other path is found under the "Help Me Choose" button. It is for people who may not have done as much research. They can click into this path and spend more time learning about the various plans.
Both paths incorporate a variety of tools, including the following:
A tool that allows visitors to enter their prescription drugs, including quantity and frequency, and get a personalized report on which of Anthem's plans cover their drugs. This tool also suggests lower cost drug alternatives.
A tool in which visitors can enter their hospitals and physicians to see which plan networks include their providers.
A sliding scale tool that users can maneuver to see the trade-offs between premiums and benefits.
The online store processes the information that the user provides to produce a list of Medicare plans that best match their personal preferences. Users can save their preferences in case they'd like to return to the site later.
Brokers also can use the store to assist their clients.
The online store will continue to be refined based on user feedback.
About Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Missouri - In Missouri (excluding 30 counties in the Kansas City area) Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield is the trade name for RightCHOICE® Managed Care, Inc. (RIT), Healthy Alliance® Life Insurance Company (HALIC), and HMO Missouri, Inc. RIT and certain affiliates administer non-HMO benefits underwritten by HALIC and HMO benefits underwritten by HMO Missouri, Inc. RIT and certain affiliates only provide administrative services for self-funded plans and do not underwrite benefits. Independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. ®ANTHEM is a registered trademark of Anthem Insurance Companies, Inc. The Blue Cross and Blue Shield names and symbols are registered marks of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. Additional information about Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Missouri is available at www.anthem.com
- 1 - Key Drivers of Health Care Costs : American College of Physicians (2009/09/09)
- 2 - Lower Out of Pocket Insulin Costs for U.S. Medicare Seniors : Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (2020/05/26)
- 3 - Medicare and Medicaid Services Not to Go Forward With Part B Payment Proposal : American College of Rheumatology (2016/12/17)
- 4 - U.S. Medicare and Telehealth Services During COVID-19 Pandemic : Disabled World (2020/03/22)
- 5 - Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation Must Implement Payment Reforms Rapidly : Commonwealth Fund (2010/06/08)
- 6 - What is Covered by Medicare : Steve Wynler (2009/03/12)
- 7 - Medicare Recipients Can Be Denied Supplemental Medigap Coverage Due to Pre-Existing Conditions : The Senior Citizens League (2018/11/15)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.