Global Film Fest on Disability - Delhi, India
Author: Business Standard : Contact: -
International festival showcasing films and documentaries made on disability issues to be held in Delhi, India, Nov. 24 to 26.
The 12th edition of We Care Film Festival, which has already traveled to 113 countries, is being organized by UNESCO in collaboration with Brotherhood, an Indian NGO working for people with special needs.
"Disability is still a hushed affair in India. We are trying to bring the issue to the forefront with the strong medium of cinema," says Kiran Mehra Kerpelman, Director of United Nations Information Center for India and Bhutan.
From amateurs to professionals, from people with disabilities to the able-bodied, from filmmakers to film students, the festival will be an open forum for all.
The annual festival will have element of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) so that people know about how technology is aiding people with disabilities.
"Films made on how technology is aiding people with disabilities in various walks of life as well as films made by the community itself are the special attractions this season," shares Kerpelman.
Large number of people including around 1000 media students have already registered for the festival which will showcase 30 films in five categories like portrayal of disability in the mainstream cinema, empowerment through ICT and call for action and advocacy to help people with disabilities.
Detailing the features of this one-of-a-kind festival, Rajiv Chandran, UN Information Head, says that participation of people from the community is huge in the endeavor.
"We are often caught in an ugly dilemma between 'acknowledging' and 'ignoring' disability.
Lack of awareness combined with a sense of indifference have marred the scope of bringing the issue to the forefront. This film festival is a celebration of 'being different'," he says.
- 1 - Disabled God: Disability Ethics Research Paper : Rev. S Manohar Pradeep, B.Sc., M.A., M.A., B.D., (M.Th) (2018/05/06)
- 2 - People with Disabilities In India to get Universal Identity Cards : Shillong Times (2014/08/27)
- 3 - Sashakt - Odisha State Campaign for Disability Inclusion and Divyang Rights : Dr. Sruti Mohapatra (2018/05/09)
- 4 - 20% of Deaths in Bangladesh Attributable to Arsenic in Drinking Water : University of Chicago Medical Center (2010/06/21)
- 5 - Insurance for Disabled in India - Swavlamban Health Insurance Scheme : Microfinancemonitor (2015/09/23)
- 6 - Math Kits for Students with Vision Disabilities - Delhi University : Times of India (2015/01/12)
- 7 - Braille Dina Panjhika - Odia Braille Calendar India : Hindu (2014/12/16)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.