Sashakt - Odisha State Campaign for Disability Inclusion and Divyang Rights
Synopsis: A multi-level, multi-stakeholder campaign to build awareness of disability issues, new law and support for inclusive and accessible Planet Earth.
Persons with disabilities are one of the most deprived, discriminated and marginalised minorities in our society. Odisha State disAbility Network (OSDN), a group of over 250 NGOs, parents and individuals, is planning a campaign to increase awareness about disability rights, dignity, empowerment and inclusion. SASHAKT is a one and half year campaign to create this awareness, firstly, among the disabled community about existing facilities and resources and the new law of their rights; and simultaneously educate public on inclusion, by presenting a exhibition, film shows, live interaction with PwDs and a collection of statements made by disabled people from all over Odisha. These include letters, poems, diaries, pictures, photos and cartoons, in every language, including braille and sign. They will showcase both challenges and achievements, despite challenges.
There are more than one billion people with some form of physical and mental disabilities in the world (about a million in Odisha) who must overcome challenges every day. One of those challenges is encountering other people. As a society, we are all different and must recognize the importance of acceptance. Disability awareness is very important when it comes to breaking stereotypes and overcoming preconceptions regarding disabilities.
With this in mind, a team of 30 members (inclusive group) will travel through all 30 districts. The flag off will start from Puri on 9th May and it will continue till 13th June at Nayagarh. On 20th June is the closing program at the state capital, Bhubaneswar. Over 130 NGOs have come together. Being supported by 10 networks, SSEPD department of Government of Odisha, Rotary District 3260 etc.
It's the first time that such a campaign is being conducted in India. We started with strengthening the disability sector and persons with disabilities. This is a step forward to bring the civil society closer.
Context of Disability
- In India, as per Census 2011, there are 21 million PwDs (7). If we consider the new disabilities (21) and WHO figures then number would be close to 70-80 million. There are about 1 million people with disAbilities in India (Census 2011 + RPwD Act 2016 + World Bank Report)
- If they all lived together in the same place, they would make up the fifth largest state after UP, Maharastra, Bihar and West Bengal.
- A country around the size of UK and France.
- Of the total disabled population, only 55% are literate (rural areas - 49%).
- In urban areas, among the disabled who are literates, 15% of them are graduates, while in rural areas only 5% of them are graduates.
- Context of Disability
- At all India level, only 36% of the total disabled persons are earning.
- Only 46.87% of the total disabled persons are married.
- It would be the least educated state; with the highest rate of infant mortality; most illiterate population; few employment opportunities and restricted access to democratic processes.
- Without doubt, it would be the poorest state in India.
Stereotyping Has Caused Misunderstanding
- Victims or objects of pity
- Horrible or grotesque
- Evil, some threat to comfort and safety of others
- Unable to do things
- Having multiple disabilities
Evolution of Disability
- Charity Model: We feel SORRY FOR YOU... let us give you something!
- Medical Model: There is something WRONG WITH YOU... let us fix you!
- Social Model: There is something WRONG WITH SOCIETY... let society change to be more inclusive!
- Rights based model: The problem is a human rights issue... we MUST find ways to ADDRESS IT!
What Is the Campaign All About?
This campaign is about raising awareness in the public, regarding RPwD Act 2016 and encourage the inclusion of PwDs in the society.
- To raise awareness throughout society, including at the family level of PwDs.
- To foster respect for the rights and dignity of persons with disabilities.
- To combat stereotypes, prejudices and harmful practices.
- To promote awareness of capabilities and contributions of PwDs.
- To disseminate information on existing government schemes and facilities.
- To spread awareness about inclusive SDGs and Accessible Odisha.
Key Persons and Organizations in Sashakt
- Concept and Design - Dr. Sruti Mohapatra, Chief Executive Swabhiman
- Strategic Planning - Mr. Mihir Mohanty, Director Programs, Swabhiman
- Logo and Artworks - Mr. Veejayant Dash, Faculty NIFT, Freelance Artist and Curator
- Conductor - Odisha State disAbility Network (Over 125 NGOs and 150 Individuals across Odisha)
- Supporters - Governments, Corporate Houses, Bharatiya Vidya Bhawan, NYP, NYK, Rotary district 3262, Red Cross Society of Odisha, NSS, BGVS, NAB, OAD, AOOHWA, NDN, Parivar, Leprosy Network, Lepra Society, Rotary Dist 3262, Prajnana Mission, Brahmakumaris, Students and many more.
|Phases of Campaign|
|1||Phase 1||Sashakt Doot (Vehicles)||9 May 2018||20 June 2018|
|2||Phase 2||District HQs Meeting||9 May 2018||20 June 2018|
|3||Phase 3||BBSA Camps||March 2018||August 2019|
|4||Phase 4||Block Hqs||April 2018||August 2019|
|5||Phase 5||Villages (3000)||April 2018||November 2019|
Campaign Period, Route and Time
- Travel Period For Vehicle - From 9 May to 20 June 2018
- RPwD Act Reaching all Villages - By 30 Nov 2019
- Where will it travel and Route - From the flag-off event the campaign will cover all 30 districts and culminate at Bhubaneswar. The campaign will cover almost 5100 kms across 30 districts and 314 blocks.
|Movement of Sashakt Doot|
|9th May||Wed||1. Puri|
|10th May||Thu||2. BBSR/Khurda|
|11th May||Fri||3. Katak|
|14th May||Mon||4. Jagatsinghpur|
|15th May||Tue||5. Kendrapada|
|16th May||Wed||6. Dhenkanal|
|17th May||Thu||7. Jajpur|
|18th May||Fri||8. Bhadrak|
|19th May||Sat||9. Baleswar|
|21st May||Mon||10. Mayurbhanj|
|22nd May||Tue||11. Keonjhor|
|23rd May||Wed||12. Deogarh|
|24th May||Thu||13. Sundargarh|
|25th May||Fri||14. Jharsuguda|
|26th May||Sat||15. Sambalpur|
|28th May||Mon||16. Anugul|
|29th May||Tue||17. Boudh|
|30th May||Wed||18. Subarnapur|
|31st May||Thu||19. Bargarh|
|1st June||Fri||20. Balangir|
|2nd June||Sat||21. Nuapada|
|4th June||Mon||22. Kalahandi|
|5th June||Tue||23. Nabrangpur|
|6th June||Wed||24. Malkangiri|
|7th June||Thu||25. Koraput|
|8th June||Fri||26. Rayagada|
|9th June||Sat||27. Kandhamal|
|11th June||Mon||28. Gajapati|
|12th June||Tue||29. Ganjam|
|13th June||Wed||30. Nayagarh|
- Public meetings, audio-visual show, photo exhibition, distribution of leaflets and posters, street play, planting a tree, wall painting, talent show by PWDs and press meet are the key activities planned for all levels.
The Campaign will Achieve/Reach
10,000,000 people with disabilities will be empowered through participation in the campaign
10,000,000 peoplw will be sensitised towards inclusion - accepting differences and celebrating diversity.
1,500 govt. officials to be sensitised and more accountable to ensure the rights of PWDs
5,000 engaged community/groups (Take action online)
5,300 kms of physical distance
How You Can Support
- Give funds, time, skills.
- Conduct a seminar or talk on the "Disability, Diversity, Development."
- Arrange media meets and meetings with media persons for highlighting the cause.
- Write stories for us in English, Hindi and Odia.
- Write blogs once a fortnight (2 weeeks) for a year.
- Develop songs for us.
- Buy our merchandise - T-shirts, wrist bands, caps
- Share the campaign details and page with 100 Facebook friends. Tell them to share with 100 each.
- Visit our Facebook page.
- Visit our website.
- Comment on our Facebook posts.
- Arrange talks in schools, colleges, clubs, events and everywhere human beings meet.
|Route Plan with Entry/Exit Night Stops|
|Date||Day||District||Entry level activity place (Tentative time: 8.30 - 9.30)||Exact Location of the District HQ level program
(Tentative time: 11.00 - 16.00)
|Exit level activity place
(Tentative time: 17.30 - 18.30)
|Proposed Night halt place
(Team will reach at the venue by 19.00 - 20.00)
|7th May||Mon||PRESS MEET at 16.00 at Bhubaneswar|
|9th May||Wed||1. Puri||Flagoff in front of Jagannath Temple at 08.00||Town hall - Puri||Pipili Hata Chhaka and then Sakhigopal bus stand||Jatani (Near by college)|
|10th May||Thu||2. Khurda||Jatani Main Chhaka||Khurda Collectorate||Baramunda Bus stand||Bhubaneswar or Katak|
|11th May||Fri||3. Katak||CDA katak||Sahid Bhawan, Katak||Mahanadi Vihar, Katak||Ashraya the shelter at Night halt Katak|
|12th May||Sat||Jagatpur Prajnana mission|
|13th May||Sun||Biridi (Near by college)|
|14th May||Mon||4. Jagatsinghpur||BIRIDI||Jagatsinghpur HQ||Erasama||Marsaghai (Near by college)|
|15th May||Tue||5. Kendrapada||Marsaghai||Kendrapara||Sadar||Dhenkanal Dist HQ (Near by college)|
|16th May||Wed||6. Dhenkanal||Sadar Block||Dhenkanal Collectorate||Bhubana||Sukinda (Near by college)|
|17th May||Thu||7. Jajpur||Sanseilo of Danagadi Block||Sanskruti Bhawan, Jajpur town||Jajapur Sadar||Bhandari pokhari (Near by college)|
|18th May||Fri||8. Bhadrak||Bhandari Pokhari||Bhadrak collectorate||Basudevpur Block||Sora (Near by college)|
|19th May||Sat||9. Baleswar||Sora||Gandhi Smuti Vawan, Baleswar||Baleswar Sadar||Betanati (Near by college)|
|20th May||Sun||Betanati (Near by college)|
|21st May||Mon||10. Mayurbhanj||Betanati||Prayas Hall, Baripada||Karanjia||Patana (Near by college)|
|22nd May||Tue||11. Keonjhor||Patana||Keonjhor Town Hall||Suakata||Barkut (Near by college)|
|23rd May||Wed||12. Deogarh||Barkut||Twon Hall, Deogarh||Deogarh||Youth Hostel Association, Rourkela|
|24th May||Thu||13. Sundargarh||Rourkela||Vikash Bhawan, Sundargarh||Sundargarh||Jharsuguda HQ (Near by college)|
|25th May||Fri||14. Jharsuguda||Jhanda chhok||Jharsuguda Sadar-Town hall||Badmal||Rengali (Near by college)|
|26th May||Sat||15. Sambalpur||Rengali||Sambalpur HQ||Redhakhol||Redhakhol (Near by College)|
|27th May||Sun||Boinda (Near by College)|
|28th May||Mon||16. Anugul||Boinda||Anugul District HQ||No exit plan due to long distance||Boudh (Near by College)|
|29th May||Tue||17. Boudh||Boudh Dist HQ||Town hall - Boudh||Boudh Block||Subarnapur (Near by college)|
|30th May||Wed||18. Subarnapur||Subarnapur||District HQ||Dungripalli||Veden (Near by college)|
|31st May||Thu||19. Bargarh||Veden||SSA training hall, Bargarh||Barpali||Luisingha (Near by College)|
|1st June||Fri||20. Balangir||Luisinghha||Town hall, Balangir||No exit plan due to long distance||Nuapara Town (Near by college)|
|2nd June||Sat||21. Nuapada||State bank Chhak, Nuapara||Kalyan Mandap, Nuapara||Kharihar||Kharihar town (Any near by college )|
|3rd June||Sun||Bhawanipatna (Any near by College)|
|4th June||Mon||22. Kalahandi||Sadar Block||Bijupatnaik Kalyan Mandab, Bhawanipata||Koksara||Papdahandi (Near by College)|
|5th June||Tue||23. Nabrangpur||Papdahandi||Mission Sakti Hall, Dist HQ||No exit plan due to long distance||Mathali near by college /Govt Guest house|
|6th June||Wed||24. Malkangiri||Mathali||DRDA Hall, Malkangiri||No exit plan due to long distance||Baipariguda (Near by college)|
|7th June||Thu||25. Koraput||Baipariguda||Jagannath sanskruti bhawan||Laxmipur||Rayagada Town (Near by College)|
|8th June||Fri||26. Rayagada||Rayagada||Town hall, Rayagada||Gunupur||Gajapati, Kashi nagar (Near by College)|
|9th June||Sat||27. Gajapati||Kashinagar||Gajapati||Mohana||Berhampur Town (Near by college)|
|10th June||Sun||Berhampur Town (Near by college)|
|11th June||Mon||28. Ganjam||Chhatrapur||Chhatrapur District HQ ( from 9.00 AM to 1.30PM)||Bhanjanagar||G. Udayagiri (Near by College)|
|12th June||Tue||29. Kandhamal||G.Udayagiri||Phulbani HQ||Khajuripada||Daspala (Any near by College)|
|13th June||Wed||30. Nayagarh||Daspala||Nayagarh Dist HQ||Ranapur||Reach at bbsr|
Share This Information To:
𝕏.com Facebook Reddit
Discover Related Topics:
Disabled World is an independent disability community founded in 2004 to provide disability news and information to people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. See our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can connect with us on social media such as X.com and our Facebook page. Disabled World provides general information only. The materials presented are never meant to substitute for qualified professional medical care, nor should they be construed as such. Funding is derived from advertisements or referral programs. Any 3rd party offering or advertising does not constitute an endorsement.
Information, Citing and Disclaimer
Permalink: <a href="https://www.disabled-world.com/news/asia/india/sashakt.php">Sashakt - Odisha State Campaign for Disability Inclusion and Divyang Rights</a>
Cite This Page (APA): Dr. Sruti Mohapatra. (2018, May 9). Sashakt - Odisha State Campaign for Disability Inclusion and Divyang Rights. Disabled World. Retrieved October 3, 2023 from www.disabled-world.com/news/asia/india/sashakt.php
Disabled World is an independent disability community founded in 2004 to provide disability news and information to people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. See our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can connect with us on social media such as X.com and our Facebook page.
Disabled World provides general information only. The materials presented are never meant to substitute for qualified professional medical care, nor should they be construed as such. Funding is derived from advertisements or referral programs. Any 3rd party offering or advertising does not constitute an endorsement.