Japan Funds Disability Project in Jenin Refugee Camp
Author: Palestine News & Information Agency : Contact: english.wafa.ps
Published: 2014-10-30 : (Rev. 2017-12-23)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Japanese government funds project for Developing the Prosthetic and Orthotic Fabrication and Rehabilitation Facilities for the Disabled in Jenin Refugee Camp.
The government of Japan funded a project for 'Developing the Prosthetic and Orthotic Fabrication and Rehabilitation Facilities for the Disabled' in Jenin Refugee Camp, Tuesday said a press release issued by the representative office of Japan in Ramallah.
Specialty within the medical field concerned with the design, manufacture and application of orthoses. An orthosis is an externally applied device used to modify the structural and functional characteristics of the neuromuscular and skeletal system. An orthotist is the primary medical clinician responsible for the prescription, manufacture and management of orthoses.
An orthosis may be used to:
- To assist movement generally
- To restrict movement in a given direction
- To reduce weight bearing forces for a particular purpose
- To aid rehabilitation from fractures after the removal of a cast
- Control, guide, limit and/or immobilize an extremity, joint or body segment for a particular reason
- To otherwise correct the shape and/or function of the body, to provide easier movement capability or reduce pain
Orthotics combines knowledge of anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, biomechanics and engineering. Patients benefiting from an orthosis may have a condition such as spina bifida or cerebral palsy, or have experienced a spinal cord injury or stroke. Equally, orthoses are sometimes used prophylactically or to optimize performance in sport.
Government of Japan decided to extend this grant to purchase new equipment and expand the fabrication unit in al-Jaleel Society in addition to upgrade the rehabilitation unit where some existing equipment could be replaced and more specialized equipment could be newly installed.
This would provide people with disabilities with quality prostheses and assistive devices in order to have equal opportunities, where they can increase their inclusion and full participation through community based rehabilitation, stated the release.
The opening ceremony of the project was opened in al-Jaleel Society for Care and Community Based Rehabilitation by Junya Matsuura, Ambassador for the Palestinian Affairs/ Representative of Japan to the PA, Governor of Jenin, Ibrahim Ramadan and Felipe Sanchez, Director of UNRWA Operations in the West Bank, along with representatives from PA and local institutions.
This project was funded by the government of Japan on January 2013 through the Japan's Grant Assistance for Grassroots Human Security Projects (GGP) with the amount of $121,326.
Matsuura in his speech emphasized Japan's firm commitment of supporting Palestinian people from human security perspective as well as the importance of implementing social and economic development projects needed for Palestinian communities.
- 1: Disability in Japan: Overview and Statistics : Disabled World (2010/03/14)
- 2: Asian Tsunami 2004 - SAARC Academia Marks 10th Anniversary : Tsunami Decade Summit (2014/12/31)
- 3: Overview of Disability in China : Thomas C. Weiss (2010/03/16)
- 4: People with Disabilities in Hong Kong Twice as Likely to Face Poverty : South China Morning Post (2015/01/19)
- 5: Almost 100M Adults Have COPD in China Mainly Due to Smoking and Air Pollution : Tulane University (2018/04/10)
- 6: Shortage of Doctors in Japan : Disabled World (2008/09/21)
- 7: Death Penalty in Japan - EU Japan Summit : FIDH (2009/04/30)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.