Australian Deaf Community Celebrates National Awareness Week
Author: Department of aging, Disability and Home Care
Published: 2010-10-16 : (Rev. 2015-04-19)
Synopsis and Key Points:
The NSW Minister for Disability Services encouraged people to learn more about the deaf community.
The NSW Minister for Disability Services, Peter Primrose, today encouraged people to learn more about the deaf community.
National Week of Deaf People comes to an end today, however the Deaf Society of NSW is continuing the celebrations.
Events next week include an interpreted question time in the Legislative Council and the Legislative Assembly on Tuesday and Thursday and a panel discussion Deaf Education and the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities on Tuesday.
Mr Primrose said the theme for National Week of Deaf People was Rapprochement of Cultures and was coordinated by Deaf Australia to celebrate the deaf community's language, culture and history, and to recognize their achievements.
"National Week of Deaf People is also a way of making people aware of their local, state and national deaf communities," Mr Primrose said.
"More than three and a half million people throughout Australia are either deaf or have a hearing impairment."
Mr Primrose said that the NSW Government had allocated $4.4 million this financial year for services specifically to support people who have a hearing impairment.
"These services include community support, early childhood intervention, therapy services, family peer support, personal care and life skills development and attendant care.
"The NSW Government is committed to making sure that people who are deaf have the same opportunities as everyone else and are able to enjoy full participation in community life."
For more information on events visit: www.deafsocietynsw.org.au or www.deafau.org.au
- 1 - Over a Million Australians Live in Unhealthy Housing Conditions : The University of Adelaide (2016/08/25)
- 2 - Australia Launches Braille Banknotes : Reserve Bank of Australia (2016/09/01)
- 3 - NSW Aging and Disability Services Commitment Continues : Aging, Disability and Home Care (2010/05/21)
- 4 - Early Childhood Intervention Australia (ECIA) - Working Together Agreement Package : Early Childhood Intervention Australia (ECIA) (2017/02/14)
- 5 - Hands off the NDIS - Australian Cross Disability Alliance : Australian Cross Disability Alliance (2016/03/09)
- 6 - Australian Deaf Community Celebrates National Awareness Week : Department of aging, Disability and Home Care (2010/10/16)
- 7 - Dance Troupe with Intellectual and Physical Disabilities Visit Disneyland : Department of Aging, Disability and Home Care (2010/10/07)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.