Australian and New Zealand Disability News
Updated/Revised Date: 2022-04-09
Author: Disabled World | Contact: Disabled World (Disabled-World.com)
Additional References: Australia and New Zealand Publications
Synopsis: Health and disability news and information for the Australian and New Zealand region of the world. Over the decade of Disabled Persons, in partnership with organizations of people with disabilities and other concerned agencies, the Australian governments at all levels (Federal, State, and Local) have been involved in the development of policy, legislation and service provision. Significant progress is being made to improve the quality of life and equity of access for Australian people with disabilities, and Australia's developments may serve as a model to other countries in the subregion.
Disability News from Australia and New Zealand
There is a need for continued commitment at all levels of Government for the pursuit of full participation and equality for people with disabilities. Significant progress is being made to improve the quality of life and equity of access for Australian people with disabilities, and Australia's developments may serve as a model to other countries in the subregion.
Over the decade of Disabled Persons, in partnership with organizations of people with disabilities and other concerned agencies, the Australian governments at all levels (Federal, State, and Local) have been involved in the development of policy, legislation, and service provision.
Services and Programs
The Australian government provides a range of services and programs for ill people, injured or have a disability. Centrelink services assist individuals looking for work and planning for their future. The Australian Disability Support Pension is a payment for people whose physical, intellectual or psychiatric impairment prevents them from working, or for people who are permanently blind.
Your illness, injury, or disability must also attract an impairment rating of at least 20 points on the impairment tables. These impairment tables, contained in the Social Security Law, rate a person's impairment according to the severity of medical conditions and how they affect their ability to work.
You may receive a Disability Support Pension if you have an illness, injury, or disability, and you are:
- Aged 16 or over and under Age Pension age or Permanently blind.
- Assessed as not being able to work or be retrained for work of at least 15 hours per week within two years because of your illness, injury, or disability.
- Participating in the Supported Wage System (SWS).
- In most cases, you must have lived in Australia for a total of 10 years as an Australian resident, or your disability occurred while you were an Australian resident.
- Disability Support Pension may be paid outside Australia for a certain period (in some cases indefinitely).
- A medical examination may be needed to confirm how long people may be paid.
- Disability support pensioners considering traveling outside Australia must contact Centrelink before leaving the country.
- Disability Assistance in Australia - The Salvation Army provides support, and accommodation services for the disabled in many parts of Australia.
Disability in Australia
- Around 778,000, or 1 in 5, Australians have a disability and are currently on disability pensions - the number is rising steadily.
- Paying disability pensions costs the Australian commonwealth more than $11 billion a year, and that sum is expected to reach $13.2bn in the next two years.
- In 2012 - 2013, an estimated 312,539 Australians assessed disability support services, according to a report released by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW).
- Between 300-400 new Spinal Cord Injuries (SCI) injuries are reported each year in Australia.
- It is estimated that around 10,000 people in Australia currently live with a spinal cord injury.
- The aging of the Australian population and longevity are leading to increasing numbers of people with a disability with a severe or profound limitation (National Disability Strategy, 2008).
Australian Disability Statistics.
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
|Latest Australia and New Zealand Publications|
|Early Childhood Intervention Australia (ECIA) - Working Together Agreement Package|
The Working Together Agreement package has been developed for use by families, early childhood educators and early childhood intervention practitioners to promote a coordinated approach to early childhood inclusion.
Publish Date: 2017-02-14
|Australia Launches Braille Banknotes|
The new banknotes are the culmination of many years of research and trial and extensive consultation.
Publish Date: 2016-09-01 - Updated: 2020-05-03
|Over a Million Australians Live in Unhealthy Housing Conditions|
Research highlights link between poor living conditions and health, and estimates over one million Australians are living in sub-standard housing.
Publish Date: 2016-08-25 - Updated: 2020-05-05
|Hands off the NDIS: Australian Cross Disability Alliance|
Reports that Australian Federal Government is considering changes to funding and governance of NDIS have alarmed people with disability.
Publish Date: 2016-03-09 - Updated: 2021-09-08
Disabled World is an independent disability community founded in 2004 to provide disability news and information to people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. See our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can connect with us on social media such as Twitter and Facebook or learn more about Disabled World on our about us page.
Disabled World provides general information only. The materials presented are never meant to substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Financial support is derived from advertisements or referral programs, where indicated. Any 3rd party offering or advertising does not constitute an endorsement.
• Cite This Page (APA): Disabled World. (2022, April 9). Australian and New Zealand Disability News. Disabled World. Retrieved January 29, 2023 from www.disabled-world.com/news/australia-nz/
• Permalink: <a href="https://www.disabled-world.com/news/australia-nz/">Australian and New Zealand Disability News</a>