UKAF Campaign results in increases in DLA, CLA, Child Benefits in Chancellor Darling's PBR
- Publish Date: 2009/12/29 - (Rev. 2010/07/11)
- Author: UK Autism Foundation
Outline: Increases in UK disability living allowance carers allowance and child benefit in Pre Budget Report.
Main DigestThe British Chancellor of the Exchequer, Alistair Darling recently announced increases in the disability living allowance, the carer's allowance and child benefit in his Pre Budget Report.
The UK Autism Foundation has been campaigning for more financial support and help for parents, carers, children and adults with autism and Asperger's Syndrome.There are over 500,000 people with autism in the United Kingdom.
UKAF wrote to Chancellor Darling urging Her Majesty's Government to help poor families with autism and Asperger's Syndrome. The Financial Secretary to HM Treasury, Stephen Timms MP personally contacted the charity assuring his support.
However the increases will only be for a year and the next Chancellor of the Exchequer who comes in after the 2010 General Election will have to decide whether to carry on with the increases to the disability living allowance, the carers allowance, child benefit and tax credits.
Ivan Corea of UKAF said: 'We welcome the increases in the disability living allowance, carer's allowance and child benefits for parents, carers, children and adults with autism and Asperger's Syndrome - albeit it is for one year, from 2010-2011 and it will all depend on the next Chancellor taking this forward after the General Election. It is the vulnerable who have been suffering as a result of the credit crunch and the recession.They will need on-going help, even after 2011. The UK Autism Foundation has been campaigning hard on financial help and support for parents, carers and people with autism and Asperger's Syndrome. We urge political leaders to see to the needs of the poor.
For further information on the UK Autism Foundation: www.ukautismfoundation.org
- 1 - Media Needs to Start Breaking Down Stigma Surrounding Disability | European Economic and Social Committee (EESC) | 2019/07/11
- 2 - UK Road Atlas for Blue Badge Drivers | The PIE Guide | 2011/07/06
- 3 - The Catastrophe of Disability Welfare Within the UK | Paul Dodenhoff | 2014/06/30
- 4 - Upcoming EU Elections Must Be Accessible to Everyone | EESC Press Unit | 2019/02/11
- 5 - Reintroducing the Sick-role? Disability in Modern Day Britain | Paul Dodenhoff | 2019/01/10