2011 Winter Deaflympics in Slovakia to Proceed
Author: International Committee of Sports for the Deaf
Published: 2010-12-04 : (Rev. 2013-07-13)
Synopsis and Key Points:
The 2011 Winter Deaflympics in Slovakia will proceed as scheduled.
Main DigestThe 2011 Winter Deaflympics in Slovakia will proceed as scheduled, Tiffany Granfors International Committee of Sports for the Deaf (ICSD) Chief Executive Officer announced today with full approval from the ICSD Executive Board.
Athletes, coaches, fans, and other supporters are encouraged to make plans to attend these games, headquartered in Vysoke Tatry, Slovakia, to be held during 18-26 February 2011.
Stated Granfors, "My recent trip to Slovakia showed me that the organizing committee has made great strides in ensuring that all sports venues, lodging facilities, and transportation services will be available during the Winter Deaflympics."
ICSD had previously taken the unprecedented step of putting the Slovakian Organizing Committee on notice for failing to meet certain deadlines pertinent in the hosting of a Deaflympics. "While some financial issues remain for the organizing committee," Granfors added, "the average athlete or fan should not notice any difference in the Winter Deaflympics experience.
ICSD has developed a reputation of putting on stellar Winter and Summer Deaflympics over the past decade and we wanted to ensure that this tradition continues. I am looking forward to a successful 17th Winter Deaflympics in Slovakia this coming February!"
The recognized member of the International Olympic Committee, ICSD organizes Winter and Summer Deaflympics in conjunction with local organizing committees.
The upcoming Winter Deaflympics will consist of five sports:
Alpine Skiing, Cross Country Skiing, Curling, Ice Hockey, and Snowboarding.
In addition, ICSD is busily preparing for the upcoming 2013 Summer Deaflympics in Greece. Visit www.deaflympics.com for more information.
- 1 - Deaflympics - ICSD Update : International Committee of Sports for the Deaf (2011/05/18)
- 2 - Deaflympics 2013 - UK Deaf Sport Calls for Support : UK Deaf Sport (2013/07/16)
- 3 - Deaflympics Taipei 2009 Lead Up News : Disabled World (2009/01/31)
- 4 - 2009 WIDEX Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year : International Committee of Sports for the Deaf (2009/12/14)
- 5 - Cancellation of Deaflympics in Slovakia : International Committee of Sports for the Deaf (2010/05/12)
- 6 - Athens Deaflympics 2013 - Lack of Support : International Committee of Sports for the Deaf (2011/07/07)
- 7 - 2011 Slovakia Deaflympics Winter Games : Disabled World (2011/02/01)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.