2013 Deaflympics: Sofia, Bulgaria 26 July to 4 August
Author: Disabled World
Published: 2013-05-31 : (Rev. 2013-07-13)
Synopsis and Key Points:
The 2013 Summer Deaflympics will be held in Sofia, Bulgaria 26 July to 4 August.
Main DigestThe International Committee of Sports for the Deaf (ICSD) have announced that the 2013 Summer Deaflympics will be held in Sofia, Bulgaria from 26 July to 4 August.
ICSD is pleased to confirm the sports that will feature in the Sofia 2013 Deaflympics, and they are Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Beach Volleyball, Bowling, Cycling, Football, Handball, Judo, Karate, Orienteering, Shooting, Swimming, Table Tennis, Taekwondo, Tennis, Volleyball and Wrestling. We are expecting record numbers of competitors in these sports.
The Deaflympics (previously called World Games for the Deaf, and International Games for the Deaf) are an IOC-sanctioned event at which deaf athletes compete at an elite level. The games have been organized by the Comite International des Sports des Sourds (CISS, "The International Committee of Sports for the Deaf") since the first event.
As the Deaf athletes possess no physical or mental disabilities, but only hearing loss, they are not eligible to participate in the Paralympic Games; instead, they come together in their own competitions designed specifically to satisfy their physical, psychological, and social needs.
To qualify for the Deaflympics, athletes must have a hearing loss of at least 55 db in their "better ear". Hearing aids, cochlear implants etc. are not allowed to be used, in order to place all athletes on the same level, as the communication between athletes and trainers or team-mates is prevented during the competition.
The use of sign language is allowed, as it can be used by everybody, provided they can see, and it constitutes the language of the community of the deaf people, which most athletes prefer.
The 20 summer Deaflympic events include athletics, badminton, handball, judo, karate, orienteering, shooting, swimming, table tennis, taekwondo, basketball, beach volleyball, bowling, cycling road, football, tennis, volleyball, water polo, wrestling freestyle, wrestling Greco-Roman.
- 1 - Deaflympics - ICSD Update : International Committee of Sports for the Deaf (2011/05/18)
- 2 - Deaflympics 2013 - UK Deaf Sport Calls for Support : UK Deaf Sport (2013/07/16)
- 3 - Deaflympics Taipei 2009 Lead Up News : Disabled World (2009/01/31)
- 4 - 2009 WIDEX Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year : International Committee of Sports for the Deaf (2009/12/14)
- 5 - Cancellation of Deaflympics in Slovakia : International Committee of Sports for the Deaf (2010/05/12)
- 6 - Athens Deaflympics 2013 - Lack of Support : International Committee of Sports for the Deaf (2011/07/07)
- 7 - 2011 Slovakia Deaflympics Winter Games : Disabled World (2011/02/01)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.