Deaflympics - ICSD Update
Author: International Committee of Sports for the Deaf
Published: 2011-05-18 : (Rev. 2014-03-14)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Status of arrangements for forthcoming Deaflympics from ICSD The International Committee of Sports for the Deaf.
Main DigestThe International Committee of Sports for the Deaf today confirmed the status of arrangements for forthcoming Deaflympics...
2013 Athens - There has been no organizing committee in Athens since 2009.
With no formal expression of government support for hosting the Deaflympics, conditions are not favorable.
The Greek government expects to make a final announcement in the days or weeks ahead.
Alternative host cities are being sought and seriously considered.
2015 Vancouver - The organizing committee has dissolved.
The Canadian Deaf Sports Association has formally handed back the right to host the 2015 Winter Deaflympics and bidding will be reopened.
2017 - With bidding still open for 2017, ICSD understands that the Mayor of Barcelona has declined to commit to financial support for hosting the Deaflympics there.
The bid has not formally announced its withdrawal and municipal elections are expected in Barcelona on 22 May.
Buenos Aires (ARG) remains as a bidder.
A vote is expected at the ICSD Congress in Rome, 13-15 September.
"ICSD fully understands the concerns of deaf athletes around the world, when it comes to the future of the Deaflympics," said ICSD President Craig Crowley.
"Deaf sport is now faced with some immense challenges, due to decisions made as long as four years ago. The future is uncertain, but one thing is clear: ICSD will need the support of partners throughout the sports world. And we'll need the continued efforts of every ICSD member country in order to overcome these challenges."
- 1 - Deaflympics - ICSD Update : International Committee of Sports for the Deaf (2011/05/18)
- 2 - Deaflympics 2013 - UK Deaf Sport Calls for Support : UK Deaf Sport (2013/07/16)
- 3 - Deaflympics Taipei 2009 Lead Up News : Disabled World (2009/01/31)
- 4 - 2009 WIDEX Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year : International Committee of Sports for the Deaf (2009/12/14)
- 5 - Cancellation of Deaflympics in Slovakia : International Committee of Sports for the Deaf (2010/05/12)
- 6 - Athens Deaflympics 2013 - Lack of Support : International Committee of Sports for the Deaf (2011/07/07)
- 7 - 2011 Slovakia Deaflympics Winter Games : Disabled World (2011/02/01)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.