Paraplegic Chris Waddell Climbs Mount Kilimanjaro
Author: Disabled World : Contact: Disabled World
Published: 2009-10-03 : (Rev. 2016-12-30)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Paraplegic Chris Waddell became the first paraplegic to reach the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro.
Former Paralympian Chris Waddell became the first paraplegic to reach the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, Africa's highest mountain, on his own power.
At 19,340 feet, Kilimanjaro is the tallest mountain peak in Africa.
With a highly trained team, which comprised of his doctor, trainer, guides, a camera crew and others who have helped him with his cause, he accomplished his goals.
By using his arms, he wheeled himself up the steep and rocky terrain in a special four-wheeled cycle called a Bomba, a highly engineered four wheel mountain bike. The vehicle is driven entirely by Waddell's arms and is capable of taking on foot-high boulders.
Paralyzed at 20 in a freak ski accident, Waddell, an American, went on to become the most decorated Paralympic skier ever.
In a January interview Waddell told Ski Racing the effort to climb Africa's highest peak was designed to "break down barriers and promote his mission to dispel stereotypes about people with disabilities."
Waddell's victorious and historic accomplishment was the culmination of years of planning and hard work.
"I was an athlete for a long time - as a Paralympic athlete, I competed in almost complete obscurity," Waddell told CBS News. "By getting to the tallest mountain out there, they have to look at me a bit differently," he added.
Waddell's competitive accomplishments include 12 Winter Paralympic medals, nine World Championship medals and a Summer Paralympic sliver medal won at the Sydney, Australia Games. Waddell retired from the World Cup in 2002.
Mr. Waddell is hoping the feat will encourage other disabled people to stretch their own limits.
- 1 - Move United: America's Community Based Adaptive Sports Organization : Susan Rossi (2020/05/05)
- 2 - Rabat the Capital of Morocco to Host African Para Games : The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2019/04/02)
- 3 - Portable Bocce Courts Could Expand Bocce Playing in Hong Kong : Packaworld (2018/10/15)
- 4 - Goalball UK Trials Revolutionary Portable Goalball Goals : Packaworld (2018/05/07)
- 5 - North Pole to be Made Wheelchair Accessible : Team Independence '09 (2009/03/30)
- 6 - Disability and Gender Equity in Sport : Canadian Heritage (2018/04/25)
- 7 - International Blind Sports Federation Paralympic Qualifier - Fort Wayne, IN - Summer 2019 : Visit Fort Wayne (2018/06/21)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.