IPC Approvals for Tokyo 2020 and Paris 2024 Venues and Dates
Author: International Paralympic Committee (IPC)(i) : Contact: paralympic.org
Synopsis and Key Points:
The International Paralympic Committee Governing Board has approved the Tokyo 2020 road cycling venue and the dates for the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games.
The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) Governing Board approved the Tokyo 2020 road cycling venue and the dates for the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games at its meeting on Wednesday (7 March).
Meeting in PyeongChang, South Korea, ahead of the Paralympic Winter Games which open on Friday (9 March), the Board signed off the world famous Fuji International Speedway as the venue for all road cycling events during the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games. All 22 sport venues have now been confirmed.
The Board also approved the new dates of the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games which will now take place between 28 August and 9 September, one week earlier than originally proposed.
This change came in response to the willingness of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) and Paris 2024 to facilitate the organisation of the competitions and offer the best possible exposure to the Paralympic Games, whose first half will now take place during the period of school holidays.
With less than 48 hours to go before the start of the PyeongChang 2018 Paralympic Winter Games, the Board was updated on final preparations for the Games.
Andrew Parsons, IPC President, said:
"Throughout the Board meeting there was an air of excitement regarding the start of the Paralympic Winter Games. Final preparations are going very well and it looks like the PyeongChang 2018 will be record-breaking in many areas. I'm also greatly encouraged by ticket sales which now have exceeded 275,000.
"Following the conclusion of PyeongChang 2018 all eyes will be on Tokyo 2020. I am pleased that the venue masterplan for those Games is now finalised. The change of date for the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games is hugely advantageous and will allow maximum exposure and awareness for the event."
Ahead of opening nominations to IPC Standing Committees later this year, the Board ratified the reappointment of a number of Committee members.
The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) is the global governing body of the Paralympic Movement. It co-ordinates the organisation of the Summer and Winter Paralympic Games, and serves as the International Federation for 10 sports, for which it supervises and co-ordinates the World Championships and other competitions. The IPC's vision is to enable Para athletes to achieve sporting excellence and inspire and excite the world.
To watch videos and subscribe to ParalympicSport.TV, please go to www.youtube.com/ParalympicSportTV
Also, you may follow the Paralympic Movement on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Paralympics or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/paralympics
(i)Source/Reference: International Paralympic Committee (IPC). Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith. Content may have been edited for style, clarity or length.
- 1 - IWBF's Non-compliance with 2015 IPC Athlete Classification Code : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2020/09/04)
- 2 - Move United: America's Community Based Adaptive Sports Organization : Susan Rossi (2020/05/05)
- 3 - Rabat the Capital of Morocco to Host African Para Games : The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2019/04/02)
- 4 - Portable Bocce Courts Could Expand Bocce Playing in Hong Kong : Packaworld (2018/10/15)
- 5 - Goalball UK Trials Revolutionary Portable Goalball Goals : Packaworld (2018/05/07)
- 6 - North Pole to be Made Wheelchair Accessible : Team Independence '09 (2009/03/30)
- 7 - Disability and Gender Equity in Sport : Canadian Heritage (2018/04/25)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.