Camp Discovery App Revolutionizes Learning for Children with Autism
Author: Center for Autism and Related Disorders (CARD) : Contact: www.centerforautism.com
Synopsis and Key Points:
Educational evidence based app helps children with autism spectrum disorder overcome deficits by learning new skills.
Main DigestCenter for Autism and Related Disorders (CARD) announce the release of Autism Learning Games: Camp Discovery, which houses a growing suite of educational games designed to teach children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) new skills.
The app incorporates the evidence-based behavior principles of applied behavior analysis (ABA) used in the comprehensive CARD curriculum for over 20 years. It offers fun learning opportunities for children with ASD, ages 2 and older, to learn lessons thoroughly by matching, sorting, and completing receptive tasks.
Camp Discovery is available at no cost for iPad and is coming soon for iPhone, Android and Kindle devices.
Camp Discovery is voice narrated and requires little to no adult supervision. The interface is user friendly, with all responses requiring only dragging and dropping or touching flashcards to be successful. The teaching procedures used in Camp Discovery were designed by experts in the field of ABA and are grounded on evidence-based teaching principles. For correct responses, players receive both visual and auditory reinforcement to keep them motivated and engaged. If a player responds incorrectly, a unique prompting system guides the player to answer correctly. Although Camp Discovery was designed for children with ASD, all children can benefit from the carefully planned teaching procedures.
ABA is the only scientifically validated treatment for ASD, and research shows it is most effective when delivered early and at a high level of intensity. Camp Discovery is an innovative tool created by CARD to increase access to treatment resources through technology. The app gives families the ability to supplement their child's treatment program from home and also may be used by families waiting to start services.
"Camp Discovery incorporates preference assessments, which sets it apart from other children's learning apps. The component is used in behavioral intervention to deliver preferred rewards as reinforcement for correct answers," said Dennis Dixon, Ph.D., chief strategy officer at CARD. "The app addresses the demand for mobile educational solutions that use proven techniques."
Preference assessments take place before learning trials begin, and rewards for correct responses are personalized for each player to maintain the child's interest. Camp Discovery also offers mini games that serve as rewards for completing rounds and keep children motivated to learn. The app gives parents and caregivers the ability to track a child's progress across games with automated graphs. Multiple settings may be manipulated to personalize the player's learning experience.
About Center for Autism and Related Disorders (CARD) -CARD treats individuals of all ages who are diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) at its 26 treatment centers around the globe. CARD was founded in 1990 by leading autism expert and clinical psychologist Doreen Granpeesheh, PhD, BCBA-D. CARD treats individuals with ASD using the principles of applied behavior analysis (ABA), which is empirically proven to be the most effective method for treating individuals with ASD and recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the US Surgeon General. CARD employs a dedicated team of over 1,000 individuals across the nation and internationally. For more information, visit www.centerforautism.com
Developed by the Center for Autism and Related Disorders (CARD), Camp Discovery houses a growing suite of games designed to teach skills to children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Camp Discovery was designed by experts and incorporates evidence-based teaching procedures to create fun learning opportunities for children with ASD.
For more information, visit www.centerforautism.com/resources.aspx#tab5
- 1 - Your Computer Can Help Find Potential COVID-19 Treatments : IBM (2020/04/29)
- 2 - Development of Smartphone App for Early Detection of Autism : University at Buffalo (2016/11/11)
- 3 - Serving the Under-served : Health for Everyone App : Health for Everyone (2020/04/30)
- 4 - Unitron Coach App Enables Users to Take Control of Hearing Health : Unitron (2020/02/28)
- 5 - IVH HIT App Provides Coronavirus (CoViD-19) Prevention and Safety Tips : iValueHealth (2020/02/27)
- 6 - Sesame Enable App Turns Android into Touch-Free Smartphone : Sesame Enable (2016/05/19)
- 7 - AccessAble App Takes the Chance Out of Going Out in the UK : AccessAble (2019/02/15)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.