Because You Ought to do Right by Your Parents
Author: Faye Hollins-Moore
Synopsis and Key Points:
The book Parental Controls chronicles the worst case scenarios in aging parental care and lists the choices that are available.
Main DigestIn our aging society, taunting decisions are being made for elderly parents by well meaning children every day. 'Parental Controls' by Faye Hollins-Moore (available at www.Amazon.com) is a guidance manual written in fiction form to assist in the decision making process.
"Parental Controls" chronicles the worst case scenarios and the choices that are available to avoid these pitfalls. Elder abuse haunts the headlines and Ms. Hollins-Moore is on a mission to help prevent such abuse in our society. Having been a caregiver herself for an elderly parent and with a background in dementia care (including the public resources available, financial and legal matters), she has written this novel to document what she learned along the way. She wrote it in fiction novel form because she wanted her readers to have an emotional investment in the story. Rather than writing it in textbook style quoting facts and statistics, she wanted her reader to follow the story of Martha who is being forced by her children from her home of 31 years and into a world of neglect, abuse, loneliness and humiliation. And how she finds strength from hearing the same northbound trains she heard at home along with her solitary conversations with her late husband, proving that even the most fragile among us can survive just about anything.
Her readers have reacted with both outrage and admiration (many requesting a sequel). One in particular states, "After reading your novel, it made me feel good about the choices I made for my elderly parent. I found your story comforting knowing that I didn't just warehouse my father, I found a way to care for him myself. Anyone who has a decision to make about their parents should read your story of Martha and the treatment she endured."
Just take the alternatives into consideration, that's all the author is asking.
From the author of "Secrets in the Sand", a musical tribute to the heroes of 9/11!, which had its world premiere September 11th, 2009 at the East County Performing Arts Center in El Cajon, California. Ms. Hollins-Moore has written two books and two plays (one of which was sold to the City of Vista, California for use as a fundraiser). She has been a freelance writer for twenty-five years, including as an award-winning reporter for McGraw-Hill Publishing and as a weekly columnist for a major San Diego Newspaper.
- 1 - Creation, Evolution, and the Handicapped: Crushing the Death Image : Pastor Richard Luther Corwin (2016/06/23)
- 2 - Missing Frames: Memoir of a Woman Living with Hidden Disabilities : Scooter (2016/07/01)
- 3 - Writings On the Wall: Disability Advocate's Uplifting Book of Poetry : Robert M. Hensel (2016/08/14)
- 4 - Wheelchair Exercising Book: Zero Assistance Resistance Training by Dan Highcock : Dan Highcock (2016/10/03)
- 5 - Single Handed : A Book by Hanoch Budin : Hanoch Budin (2016/10/27)
- 6 - Spinning in Circles and Learning From Myself by Tsara Shelton : Tsara Shelton (2018/05/16)
- 7 - Book : Walk in My Shoes : DeafBlind Writers Tell All : Ramona Rice (2017/01/03)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.