Cutting Calories from Cakes and Frostings
- Publish Date: 2010/03/29
- Author: United States Department of Agriculture-Research, Education, and Economics
Outline: Delicious new cakes and frostings may someday contain less fat and fewer calories.
Main DigestDelicious new cakes and frostings may someday contain less fat and fewer calories, thanks to work by Agricultural Research Service (ARS) scientists such as Mukti Singh.
She's based at the ARS National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research (NCAUR) in Peoria, Ill.
In experiments at her Peoria laboratory, Singh is formulating low-fat cake mixes and frostings with Fantesk micro-droplets of trans-fat-free cooking oil, encapsulated in cornstarch or wheat flour. Fantesk was developed in the 1990s by NCAUR chemists George Fanta and the late Kenneth Eskins.
Singh's experiments have shown that, when making a cake with a mix that contains Fantesk, cooking oil doesn't have to be added. And, the mixes containing Fantesk produce low-fat cakes that have better texture and a higher volume.
What's more, the lower-fat frostings that Singh and Peoria chemical engineer Jeffrey Byars are creating with Fantesk have the smooth texture and spread-ability of butter-cream favorites, yet contain up to 50 percent less fat.
Read more about this research in the March 2010 issue of Agricultural Research magazine, available online at: www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/mar10/calories0310.htm
ARS is the principal intramural scientific research agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).
- 1 - How Much Does One Serving Size Equal | Disabled World | 2014/09/12
- 2 - What Does a Healthy Meal Look Like? MyPlate Guidelines | Cornell Food and Brand Lab | 2013/12/29
- 3 - FDA Effort to Advance Implementation of New Consumer Nutrition Facts Label for Foods | U.S. Food and Drug Administration | 2018/03/01
- 4 - Picky or Fussy Eating Habits in Children | Thomas C. Weiss | 2015/08/12
- 5 - Health Impact of Poor Eating Choices | Concordia University | 2011/11/22
- 6 - How Chaga Can Help In The Fight Against Cancer | Katie Li | 2012/03/16
- 7 - Artificial Sweeteners: Are They Safe or Not | Thomas C. Weiss | 2014/10/15
- 8 - Health Consequences of Malnutrition | Thomas C. Weiss | 2016/01/22
Help Spread Disability AwarenessConnect with Us on Social Media