Cutting Calories from Cakes and Frostings
Author: United States Department of Agriculture-Research, Education, and Economics
Synopsis and Key Points:
Delicious new cakes and frostings may someday contain less fat and fewer calories.
Main DigestDelicious new cakes and frostings may someday contain less fat and fewer calories, thanks to work by Agricultural Research Service (ARS) scientists such as Mukti Singh.
She's based at the ARS National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research (NCAUR) in Peoria, Ill.
In experiments at her Peoria laboratory, Singh is formulating low-fat cake mixes and frostings with Fantesk micro-droplets of trans-fat-free cooking oil, encapsulated in cornstarch or wheat flour. Fantesk was developed in the 1990s by NCAUR chemists George Fanta and the late Kenneth Eskins.
Singh's experiments have shown that, when making a cake with a mix that contains Fantesk, cooking oil doesn't have to be added. And, the mixes containing Fantesk produce low-fat cakes that have better texture and a higher volume.
What's more, the lower-fat frostings that Singh and Peoria chemical engineer Jeffrey Byars are creating with Fantesk have the smooth texture and spread-ability of butter-cream favorites, yet contain up to 50 percent less fat.
Read more about this research in the March 2010 issue of Agricultural Research magazine, available online at: www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/mar10/calories0310.htm
ARS is the principal intramural scientific research agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).
- 1: List of Healthy Food You Should be Eating : Michelle Toole (2010/06/09)
- 2: Fruit, Vegetables, Grains and Nuts Help Lower Stroke Risk : American Heart Association (2014/10/31)
- 3: Health Consequences of Malnutrition : Thomas C. Weiss (2016/01/22)
- 4: Health Benefits of Beet Juice for Muscles : Penn State (2015/01/21)
- 5: Making a Healthier Homemade Pizza : Thomas C. Weiss (2015/01/20)
- 6: Diet Soda and Artificial Sweeteners Bad For Health : Thomas C. Weiss (2014/04/08)
- 7: Eggs and Cholesterol Good for You or Not? : Thomas C. Weiss (2016/01/12)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.