Arthritis Impacts African-Americans and Hispanics More than Whites
Author: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Synopsis and Key Points:
Arthritis causes more pain and limitations for African-Americans and Hispanics than for whites.
Main DigestArthritis causes more pain and limitations for African-Americans and Hispanics than for whites, according to a study released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
African-Americans were 17 percent less likely to report having arthritis than whites, and Hispanics were 46 percent less likely to report the condition than whites, the study said. However, African-Americans and Hispanics with arthritis were almost twice as likely to report severe joint pain and work limitations attributed to their arthritis when compared to whites, it said.
The study, "Difference in the Prevalence and Impact of Arthritis among Racial/Ethnic Groups," was published in the journal Preventing Chronic Disease.
Arthritis is the leading cause of disability in the United States, affecting 1 in 5 adults. It interferes with work and other daily activities and can complicate the management of other chronic diseases. Arthritis encompasses more than 100 diseases and conditions that affect joints and other connective tissue.
The reason for the racial and ethnic differences, while unknown, may result from a lack of access to health care, language barriers and cultural differences, the report says.
"We must address these stark differences in arthritis impact by using what we know,'' said Jennifer Hootman, an epidemiologist for the CDC National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion and co-author of the report. "We can educate those with arthritis about increasing physical activity and self-management and reducing obesity, especially those in groups bearing a disproportionate burden from arthritis."
The data, collected from the CDC National Health Interview Survey, are the first to estimate the national prevalence of arthritis and assess its impact among smaller racial and ethnic groups that are usually grouped together when reporting health statistics
For more information about arthritis prevalence and impact, visit CDC's Web site at www.cdc.gov/arthritis/
- 1 - List of Different Types of Arthritis : Disabled World (2015/06/23)
- 2 - Painkillers and Medicines Used to Treat Arthritis : Sally Rider (2010/06/21)
- 3 - Arthritis and Playing Musical Instruments : JD (2010/06/22)
- 4 - Post-Traumatic Arthritis: Symptoms, Prevention & Treatment : Thomas C. Weiss (2015/12/01)
- 5 - Arthritis Turning America Into a Disabled Nation : MOVEMENT IS LIFE (2010/08/03)
- 6 - Younger Veterans Develop Arthritis at Higher Rates and Younger Age : The Rep for Vet (2013/11/20)
- 7 - Obesity and Knee Arthritis : American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (2011/02/14)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.