Lung Cancer Symptoms
Author: Disabled World
Published: 2009-02-21 : (Rev. 2011-10-13)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Symptoms to lung cancer are shortness of breath pain when breathing or coughing and existence of a persistent cough.
Main DigestMuch research work has been dedicated to find out the first symptoms of lung cancer.
Cancer is that painful disease that needs no introduction and cancer of the lung is one of its most common forms. It is said that early detection of cancer is the key to its prevention
Extensive research works conducted at Mesothelioma research clinics have uncovered some symptoms of lung cancer closely linked with the disease.
Lung Cancer Symptoms
The main three symptoms to lung cancer that should not be ignored are shortness of breath, pain when breathing or coughing, and existence of a persistent cough, especially if it is accompanied by expectoration of sputum streaked with blood. Additionally, loss of appetite, fatigue, unusual losses of weight are three symptoms, which are indicative of lung cancer. These are considered to be the primary symptoms of lung cancer. There are secondary symptoms too.
Sudden development of a hoarse voice is one of the secondary lung cancer symptoms. Difficulty in swallowing is considered as another symptom of cancer of the lung.
Swelling of the face due to blockage of main blood vessel and swelling of neck due to enlarged lymph nodes may be other symptoms as well.
There are less common but more uncomfortable symptoms of lung cancer, which are usually associated with advanced stages of the disease. Such lung cancer or Mesothelioma patients may exhibit symptoms like a hoarse voice, difficulty swallowing, swelling of the face or in the neck, pain or discomfort under the ribs, and shortness of breath caused by fluid around the lungs.
People addicted to tobacco and those who are constantly exposed to the ill effects of asbestos are more susceptible to lung cancer. Ignorance about the symptoms of lung cancer may lead to a full-fledged blown up case.
Be on alert if you are having cough most of the time. This is one of the first symptoms. A related symptom may be a change in the nature of coughing. Other symptoms may be- being short of breath and coughing up bloodstained sputum. Mesothelioma research has established that aches while breathing, loss of appetite, fatigue and loss of weight can also be the first symptoms of the cancer of the lung.
Because of the non-specific nature of symptoms of Mesothelioma, Mesothelioma tests are imperative to rule out incidence of the disease when lung cancer symptoms show up. Early detection of Mesothelioma cancer substantiated by clear information of patient's exposure to asbestos can help define the course of treatment.
Early Detection Of Mesothelioma Cancer In Long Term Health Prognosis
The length of time between asbestos exposure and onset of lung cancer symptoms can be between 15-50 years. Therefore a complete medical history and information of possible asbestos exposure are critical in identifying patients who are prone for developing Mesothelioma lung cancer.
During physical tests for Mesothelioma lung cancer, the doctor may check breath sounds to see whether there is any indication of fluid in the chest cavity. A variety of diagnostic procedures also help to determine whether a patient has Mesothelioma lung cancer.
Results from imaging scans, tissue biopsies, pulmonary function tests, and other diagnostic techniques, combined with the findings from a careful medical history help to define the course of treatment in Mesothelioma lung cancer.
Treat pain in the right rib region and shortness of breath due to accumulation of fluid as warning signals of cancer of the lung. When you notice any of them, visit your physician for a thorough check-up.
- 1 - Ayurvedic Herbal Treatment for Lung Cancer : Dr. A. A. Mundewadi - Chief Ayurvedic Physician at Mundewadi Ayurvedic Clinic, Thane, Maharashtra, India. (2009/02/21)
- 2 - Surviving Lung Cancer : Temple University (2009/03/04)
- 3 - Small Cell Cancer of Lung - General Overview : Disabled World (2009/04/05)
- 4 - Women and Lung Cancer Risks : Asbestos.Net (2009/04/18)
- 5 - Cancer - 50 Years On : Lung Cancer Alliance (2012/01/06)
- 6 - Lung Cancer Symptoms : Disabled World (2009/02/21)
- 7 - Early Detection of Lung Cancer : University of Bonn (2011/05/16)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.