SkyMD Premier Teledermatology Telehealth Platform
Author: SkyMD : Contact: skymd.com
Synopsis and Key Points:
SkyMD, Inc. debuts full-scale rollout of premier telehealth platform that helps doctors provide efficient and effective care to patients across the country.
SkyMD - the telehealth platform that connects dermatologists to their patients - announced the full-scale rollout of its application on Wednesday. SkyMD has shown that its unique business model can be effective and efficient for both patients and doctors, meeting the AMA's recently released telehealth regulations.
Teledermatology is a sub-specialty in the medical field of dermatology and one of the more common applications of telemedicine and e-health. In teledermatology, telecommunication technologies are used to exchange medical information (concerning skin conditions and tumors of the skin) over a distance using audio, visual and data communication.
"Certain telehealth companies have presented themselves as 'anonymous informational services' rather than a 'health care service' in order to circumvent the legal requirements surrounding a physician-patient relationship," said Eric Price, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer of SkyMD. "But when a patient receives information from a physician online, they are more likely to trust the source and act upon that information regardless of the legal disclaimers surrounding it. Any platform connecting doctors and patients online should therefore adhere to a common standard of care. The SkyMD platform was designed by a team of board-certified dermatologists and tested within their own practices with this guiding principle in mind."
Since its soft launch in October 2015, SkyMD has seen tremendous growth in the application's usage and effectiveness.
- 50+ dermatologists actively using the platform
- Licensed providers in 25 states across the country
- Thousands of patients registered
- 40 percent month-over-month growth
This success is despite findings that some telehealth providers are falling short. For example, a recent study in the Journal of the American Medical Association found several pitfalls with existing teledermatology platforms. The SkyMD platform has been designed to avoid these pitfalls and comply with the AMA guidelines on provider responsibility in telemedicine. SkyMD:
- Enables and encourages patients to select their preferred provider
- Connects patients only with certified healthcare providers licensed in the patient's state
- Collects all relevant patient information prior to evaluation
- Utilizes proprietary treatment templates and patient education for more comprehensive evaluations
- Enables patients to automatically share their treatment plan with their primary care physician
- Allows patient to follow up with their SkyMD dermatologist in-person if needed
- Helps find a local dermatologist if the SkyMD dermatologist is too far
The SkyMD platform was created alongside top dermatologists. As a result, doctors using the platform have been able to treat 90 percent of their SkyMD cases without the need for further in person evaluation and have reduced their treatment time by more than 75 percent. By giving doctors all the information, tools and resources they need to make an evaluation quickly and effectively, SkyMD enhances the patient experience, delivering high-quality, efficient care at a lower cost.
SkyMD is a telehealth platform designed for dermatology. Eric Price, former Head of Product at Fab.com and Harvard Business School MBA, developed the technology in collaboration with a team of board-certified dermatologists. SkyMD leverages adaptive, specialty-specific online interviews and treatment templates to reduce treatment time while delivering the same quality of care. Doctors and patients can access the web based platform at www.skymd.com from any smartphone, tablet or desktop computer. Patients can also access SkyMD via its native iOS and Android apps.
- 1 - Can Telehealth Fill the Gap in Autism Services? : Michigan State University (2016/05/24)
- 2 - COVID-19 Telehealth Toolkit to Accelerate State Use of Telehealth in Medicaid and CHIP : Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) (2020/04/23)
- 3 - Medical Selfies: Send Images to Doctor Via Cellular Phone : DICOM Grid (2015/04/01)
- 4 - The Uncomplicated Family Tackles Autism Challenges Amid Global Health Pandemic : The Uncomplicated Family™ (2020/03/27)
- 5 - Telehealth : A Lifeline for Patients During Coronavirus Outbreak : U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services - Part of Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) (2020/03/09)
- 6 - U.S. Medicare and Telehealth Services During COVID-19 Pandemic : Disabled World (2020/03/22)
- 7 - Telemedicine Helps Overcome Healthcare Gender Based Barriers : Elsevier (2018/04/19)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.