Direct Access Genetic Testing - Consumer Caution
- Publish Date: 2010/05/14
- Author: Association for Molecular Pathology
Outline: Genetic tests should be provided to the public only through the services of appropriate health care professionals.
Main DigestAMP cautions consumers about direct access genetic testing
In response to recent announcements about consumer genetic tests being made available in retail drugstores, the Association for Molecular Pathology (AMP) today reiterated its position that these tests should be provided to the public only through the services of appropriate health care professionals that order tests from laboratories that are certified by CLIA for high-complexity testing.
"Genetic testing continues to be an integral part of health care and there is great potential for future test development and use as long as they are administered properly and interpreted in the context of the overall medical evaluation of each patient," said AMP President, Karen Mann, M.D., Ph.D. "AMP is concerned that these types of direct access genetic tests will mislead consumers by making predictions that are medically unproven or not meaningful and promoting purchase of products not proven to be medically useful."
AMP is an international medical and professional association representing approximately 1,800 physicians, doctoral scientists, and medical laboratory scientists who perform laboratory testing based on knowledge derived from molecular biology, genetics, and genomics. Our members are dedicated to the development and implementation of molecular pathology testing, including genetic testing, in a manner consistent with the highest standards established by the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA), the College of American Pathologists (CAP), the American College of Medical Genetics (ACMG), and the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA).
The Association for Molecular Pathology (AMP) is an international medical professional association dedicated to the advancement, practice, and science of clinical molecular laboratory medicine and translational research based on the applications of molecular biology, genetics and genomics. For more information, please visit: www.amp.org.
- 1 - FDA Restricts Sale and Distribution of Essure | U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) | 2018/04/09
- 2 - Risks of Eating Raw Sprouts | Health Canada | 2010/08/12
- 3 - FDA Warns About Illegal Use of Injectable Silicone for Body Contouring and Associated Health Risks | U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) | 2017/11/14
- 4 - Paraffin Candles Source of Carcinogens and Pollution | American Chemical Society | 2009/08/19
- 5 - Lead and Cadmium Hazard in Children's Jewellery Warning | Health Canada | 2010/02/07
- 6 - FDA Warning: Potential Contamination in Multiple Brands Of Drugs, Dietary Supplements | U.S. Food and Drug Administration | 2017/08/14
- 7 - FDA Warning: Elevated Levels of Belladonna in Certain Homeopathic Teething Products | U.S. Food and Drug Administration | 2017/01/30
- 8 - Mixing Grapefruit and Medication Can Have Serious Adverse Effects | Canadian Medical Association Journal | 2012/11/26