Simplified Procedure for Issue of Disability Certificate - Disability News India
- Publish Date: 2010/11/15
- Author: Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment
Outline: Amended rules enable a simplified and decentralized procedure for issue of disability certificate.
Main DigestThe Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Rules 1996 have been amended in December last year.
The amended rules enable a simplified and decentralized procedure for issue of disability certificate. Disability certificate can now be issued by a single doctor in respect of obvious disabilities at the level Primary Health Center (PHCs)/Government Medical Practitioner, Community Health Centers and Hospitals at the Sub-Divisional level. In case of non obvious disabilities, certificate can be issued by a specialist.
Only in case of multiple disability, a Medical Board is required. Further, Medical Certificate is to be issued as far as possible within 7 days from the date of application but in any case not later than one month.
State Governments have also been requested to make similar amendments in their PwD Rules and notify their medical authorities accordingly.
A Committee consisting of representatives of various stake holders, experts in disabilities etc. has been set up in April this year to study the suggestions received from State Governments, concerned Central Ministries and several other sources on the proposed amendments to the PwD Act, 1995 and to prepare a new draft Legislation aligning it with the provisions of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
This information was given by Shri. D. Napoleon, the Minister of State for Social Justice & Empowerment, in a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha today.
- 1 - People with Disabilities In India to get Universal Identity Cards | Shillong Times | 2014/08/27
- 2 - Sashakt - Odisha State Campaign for Disability Inclusion and Divyang Rights | Dr. Sruti Mohapatra | 2018/05/09
- 3 - Disabled People, Disabled World and Disabled God | Rev. S Manohar Pradeep, B.Sc., M.A., M.A., B.D., (M.Th) | 2018/05/06
- 4 - 20% of Deaths in Bangladesh Attributable to Arsenic in Drinking Water | University of Chicago Medical Center | 2010/06/21
- 5 - Insurance for Disabled in India - Swavlamban Health Insurance Scheme | Microfinancemonitor | 2015/09/23
- 6 - Math Kits for Students with Vision Disabilities - Delhi University | Times of India | 2015/01/12
- 7 - Braille Dina Panjhika - Odia Braille Calendar India | Hindu | 2014/12/16
- 8 - Free Education for Children with Disabilities in India | Disabled World | 2014/12/04
Help Spread Disability AwarenessConnect with Us on Social Media