Railways Provide Facilities for Disabled - Disability News India
Author: Ministry of Railways - India
Air conditioned Garib Rath trains have been provided with Air conditioned disabled friendly compartment and toilet in the power cars.
Main DigestIndian Railways have already manufactured about 2100 coaches which have suitably designed compartments and toilets adapted to the needs of the wheelchair borne/disabled persons. It is endeavored to have at least one such coach in each Mail/Express train.
Fully air conditioned Garib Rath trains have been provided with Air conditioned disabled friendly compartment and toilet in the power cars.
Likewise in suburban trains, EMU coaches have adequate doorway opening for entry and exit for wheel chair borne/disabled persons. Provision of earmarked compartments for disabled passengers also exists in select sub-urban trains, including at Mumbai.
In pursuance of implementation of Persons with Disabilities Act, amenities to make stations, including suburban station of Mumbai area, more accessible to handicapped persons, have been planned to be provided through a prioritized action plan in phased manner. Such identified amenities are standard ramp, parking lots, non-slippery wheel chairs. Railways have also planned to provide facility of inter-platforms for disabled persons particularly, those in wheel chairs. It has also been planned to provide barrier free access through provision of lifts/escalators over major and important railway stations which have been identified for development as world class stations.
In addition to earmarking of reservation quota of 2 sleeper class berths in a train for differently able persons, separate reservation ticket counters area also earmarked for them at major reservation centers.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Railways, Shri K.H. Muniyappa in a written reply in Lok Sabha today.
- 1 - Disabled God: Disability Ethics Research Paper : Rev. S Manohar Pradeep, B.Sc., M.A., M.A., B.D., (M.Th) (2018/05/06)
- 2 - People with Disabilities In India to get Universal Identity Cards : Shillong Times (2014/08/27)
- 3 - Sashakt - Odisha State Campaign for Disability Inclusion and Divyang Rights : Dr. Sruti Mohapatra (2018/05/09)
- 4 - 20% of Deaths in Bangladesh Attributable to Arsenic in Drinking Water : University of Chicago Medical Center (2010/06/21)
- 5 - Insurance for Disabled in India - Swavlamban Health Insurance Scheme : Microfinancemonitor (2015/09/23)
- 6 - Math Kits for Students with Vision Disabilities - Delhi University : Times of India (2015/01/12)
- 7 - Braille Dina Panjhika - Odia Braille Calendar India : Hindu (2014/12/16)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.