Railways Provide Facilities for Disabled - Disability News India
- Publish Date: 2010/12/12
- Author: Ministry of Railways - India
Outline: Air conditioned Garib Rath trains have been provided with Air conditioned disabled friendly compartment and toilet in the power cars.
Main DigestIndian Railways have already manufactured about 2100 coaches which have suitably designed compartments and toilets adapted to the needs of the wheelchair borne/disabled persons. It is endeavored to have at least one such coach in each Mail/Express train.
Fully air conditioned Garib Rath trains have been provided with Air conditioned disabled friendly compartment and toilet in the power cars.
Likewise in suburban trains, EMU coaches have adequate doorway opening for entry and exit for wheel chair borne/disabled persons. Provision of earmarked compartments for disabled passengers also exists in select sub-urban trains, including at Mumbai.
In pursuance of implementation of Persons with Disabilities Act, amenities to make stations, including suburban station of Mumbai area, more accessible to handicapped persons, have been planned to be provided through a prioritized action plan in phased manner. Such identified amenities are standard ramp, parking lots, non-slippery wheel chairs. Railways have also planned to provide facility of inter-platforms for disabled persons particularly, those in wheel chairs. It has also been planned to provide barrier free access through provision of lifts/escalators over major and important railway stations which have been identified for development as world class stations.
In addition to earmarking of reservation quota of 2 sleeper class berths in a train for differently able persons, separate reservation ticket counters area also earmarked for them at major reservation centers.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Railways, Shri K.H. Muniyappa in a written reply in Lok Sabha today.
- 1 - People with Disabilities In India to get Universal Identity Cards | Shillong Times | 2014/08/27
- 2 - Sashakt - Odisha State Campaign for Disability Inclusion and Divyang Rights | Dr. Sruti Mohapatra | 2018/05/09
- 3 - Disabled People, Disabled World and Disabled God | Rev. S Manohar Pradeep, B.Sc., M.A., M.A., B.D., (M.Th) | 2018/05/06
- 4 - 20% of Deaths in Bangladesh Attributable to Arsenic in Drinking Water | University of Chicago Medical Center | 2010/06/21
- 5 - Insurance for Disabled in India - Swavlamban Health Insurance Scheme | Microfinancemonitor | 2015/09/23
- 6 - Math Kits for Students with Vision Disabilities - Delhi University | Times of India | 2015/01/12
- 7 - Braille Dina Panjhika - Odia Braille Calendar India | Hindu | 2014/12/16
- 8 - Free Education for Children with Disabilities in India | Disabled World | 2014/12/04
Help Spread Disability AwarenessConnect with Us on Social Media