Over 10 Million People to Live to 100 Years Old
Published: 2011-01-02 - Updated: 2014-01-11
Author: Department for Work and Pensions
Peer-Reviewed Publication: N/A
Synopsis: More than ten million people in the UK today can expect to live to see their 100th birthday. More than ten million people in the UK today can expect to live to see their 100th birthday - 17 percent of the population.
More than ten million people in the UK today can expect to live to see their 100th birthday - 17 percent of the population.
This article is from our digest of publications relating to European Disability News that also includes:
- Three million are currently aged under 16,
- 5.5 million are aged between 16 and 50,
- 1.3 million are aged between 51 and 65.
- Around 875,000 are already aged over 65.
Pensions Minister Steve Webb said:
"These staggering figures really bring home how important it is to plan ahead for our later lives. Many millions of us will be spending around a third of our lives or more in retirement in the future.
"That's why we are reforming the pension system to make it sustainable for the long term, making sure people can look forward to a decent state pension when they retire, and helping millions save into a workplace pension, many for the first time."
In 2066, there will be at least half a million people aged 100 or over.
The 2066 centenarians will include nearly 7,700 supercentenarians, those aged 110 or over.
1. These figures are based on ONS Population projections and Life Expectancy estimates.
2. DWP's Centenarian Clerk works with Buckingham Palace to ensure centenarians receive a birthday card from Her Majesty the Queen on their 100th birthday. He will be very busy in 2066!
3. This analysis is published on the DWP website at research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/index.phppage=adhoc_analysis
Live to 100 chart
Live to 100 graph
How Long Will I Live - Life Span Expectancy Chart
Disabled World is an independent disability community established in 2004 to provide disability news and information to people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. See our homepage for informative news, reviews, sports, stories and how-tos. You can also connect with us on Twitter and Facebook or learn more about Disabled World on our about us page.
Disabled World provides general information only. The materials presented are never meant to substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Financial support is derived from advertisements or referral programs, where indicated. Any 3rd party offering or advertising does not constitute an endorsement.
Cite This Page (APA): Department for Work and Pensions. (2011, January 2). Over 10 Million People to Live to 100 Years Old. Disabled World. Retrieved August 16, 2022 from www.disabled-world.com/news/uk/live-to-100.php
• Permalink: <a href="https://www.disabled-world.com/news/uk/live-to-100.php">Over 10 Million People to Live to 100 Years Old</a>