Sochi 2014 Wishes Vancouver 2010 Good Luck
Synopsis and Key Points:
Representatives of Sochi 2014 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games wished organizers of Vancouver 2010 good luck as they enter final year of preparations.
Main DigestVladimir Lebedev, the team leader of Russia's acrobatic freestyle ski team has become a Sochi 2014 ambassador. Vladimir Lebedev, a bronze medalist at the Torino 2006 Olympic Games and a multiple World Cup medalist, will use his experience and knowledge to ensure that Sochi 2014 delivers excellent facilities for athletes as well as providing an unforgettable atmosphere at Russia's first Winter Games.
Vladimir Lebedev, the team leader of Russia's acrobatic freestyle ski team has become a Sochi 2014 ambassador.
Vladimir Lebedev, a bronze medalist at the Torino 2006 Olympic Games and a multiple World Cup medalist, will use his experience and knowledge to ensure that Sochi 2014 delivers excellent facilities for athletes as well as providing an unforgettable atmosphere at Russia's first Winter Games. The ongoing support of leading athletes is crucially important for members of the Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee.
Vladimir Lebedev said:
"It is an honor to become an ambassador for the Winter Olympic Games in Sochi. It's great when such a grand event is staged in your country. I am confident that Russia's first Winter Olympic Games in 2014 will help to make freestyle skiing even more popular in our country. It will enable Russian athletes to express themselves to the world and I hope that I will be able to please the fans in 2014 and win a gold medal for our country."
Tomorrow Vladimir Lebedev will lead the national team during the FIS World Cup in the discipline of freestyle "ski acrobatics", which will be staged in Moscow's Vorobyovy Hills. The second occasion this event has been staged in Moscow, the competition will feature some of the best athletes in the world.
For the first time a similar event was staged in 2007 shortly after Sochi was announced as the host city for the 2014 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games.
With a height of 46 meters, the springboard for the competition at Vorobyovy Hills, in close proximity to Moscow University, can become the highest springboard ever used in a freestyle competition.
The Moscow stage is the last in the official World Cup calendar for ski acrobatics and will decide the winner of the Small Crystal Globe 2008-2009.
Sochi 2014 wishes Vancouver good luck from Red Square
Representatives of Sochi 2014 - Russia's first Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games - were joined by Olympians and Moscow students on an ice rink on Red Square to wish the organizers of Vancouver 2010 good luck as they enter their final year of preparations.
Staged in the main square of Russia, the event saw the Olympic figure skating champion Alexei Yagudin and Russian ice skating coach Tatiana Tarasova - one of the most successful Olympic coaches of all time. Students from universities across Moscow also participated in the event to support Sochi 2014 and sent good wishes to the Vancouver Olympic and Paralympic Games.
The location of Red Square was symbolic - as it is from there that Russian athletes set to compete at Vancouver 2010 will be cheered on and given farewell wishes by the nation's sports enthusiasts next year.
Tatiana Tarasova, said:
"Staging the Olympic Games is a great responsibility. I'm sure that Russia will organize the Games in the best way possible and host them at the highest possible standard."
"I have been to many Olympic Games and know how important the work of volunteers is. The friendliness, help and attention they give guests are some of the most important factors in the success of a Games. That's why I'm happy to see students here, on the ice rink, who sincerely love Russian sport. Maybe some of these students will become the volunteers for Russia's first Winter Games."
Vancouver 2010's final year of preparation will also be busy for Sochi 2014, as the Organizing Committee shares in the experience of its Canadian counterparts to bring best practice to Sochi 2014 preparations. During Vancouver 2010, senior officials from Sochi 2014 will gain the unique insights only available through witnessing a Games in progress by taking part in the IOC's Olympic Games Observer Program.
- 1 - IPC Spectacular - Sochi 2014 Highlights Video Clip : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2014/06/18)
- 2 - 2014 Paralympic Games Sochi Russia Events and News : Disabled World (2009/01/31)
- 3 - Sochi 2014 Winter Games Shares Vancouver's Olympic Fever : sochi2014.com (2009/02/08)
- 4 - 2 Billion People Watched the Sochi 2014 Paralympics on TV : The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2014/07/04)
- 5 - Sochi 2014 Joins UNEP Climate Neutral Network : sochi2014.com (2009/02/12)
- 6 - Sochi 2014 Winter Games on Track : Sochi 2014 (2009/03/29)
- 7 - Sochi 2014 Reports on Winter Games Progress : Sochi 2014 (2009/03/24)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.