2010 Winter Paralympics: Vancouver Canada
Disabled World (disabled-world.com)
Revised/Updated: Wednesday, 3rd April 2019
Synopsis and Key Points:
The 2010 Winter Paralympics were held in Vancouver and Whistler British Columbia Canada between March 12 to March 21 2010.
The 2010 Winter Paralympics, officially the X Paralympic Winter Games, or the 10th Winter Paralympics, were held in Vancouver and Whistler, British Columbia, Canada from March 12 to 21, 2010. The Opening Ceremony took place in BC Place Stadium in Vancouver and the Closing Ceremony in Whistler.
Vancouver had been excited about the 2010 Winter Olympics and Paralympics ever since it was announced in July, 2003 that the city would host the winter games.
The Opening Ceremony took place in BC Place Stadium, Vancouver, British Columbia. 2010 was the second time Canada has hosted the Paralympics, including the 1976 Summer Paralympics in Toronto.
Vancouver saw the 2010 games (Olympics and Paralympics) as a chance to build on its history as a world-class city that began in 1986 with the World's Fair.
On June 7, 2006, Prince Edward, as a member of the Canadian Royal Family, and patron of the British Paralympic Association, raised the flag of the Paralympic Games outside Vancouver City Hall.
Five Sports were on the Games Program
- Alpine Skiing,
- Nordic Skiing,
- Cross-Country Skiing,
- Wheelchair curling
- Sledge Hockey
The sporting events during the 2010 winter paralympics were shared between Vancouver and Whistler.
The mascot, Sumi, an animal guardian spirit with the wings of the Thunderbird and legs of a black bear, is the first time the Olympic and Paralympic mascots were introduced at the same time.
Canadian Host Cities for 2010 Paralympic Games
Vancouver was the Host City of the 2010 Winter Games. It is surrounded by spectacular natural beauty and is recognized as being one of the world's most livable cities, renowned for its innovative programs and leadership in sustainability, accessibility and inclusivity.
Richmond is a unique, culturally diverse city, close to both downtown Vancouver and the US border. It is home to the spectacular Richmond Olympic Oval, site of the speed skating competitions for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games.
One of British Columbia's fastest-growing cities, Surrey is home to the Games Preparation Center - a facility that will play a key role in preparing volunteers and ceremony participants in the staging of a successful 2010 Winter Games.
Whistler was named the Host Mountain Resort for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. It was the fulfillment of a dream a long time in the making. Since then, Whistler has been busy preparing to welcome the world. Whistler has the largest ski area in North America and is well-positioned as the Host Mountain Resort of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.
Both Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains offer world-class skiing facilities, including new Olympic and Paralympic venues, an intimate, pedestrian-friendly village and a community pride that welcomes spectators, skiers and lovers of winter activities.
Tickets to the 2010 Olympics and Paralympics were sold in three Phases.
Phase 1, was open to Canadian residents from October 3 - November 7, 2008 and sold out.
International buyers were able to purchase tickets in early 2009.
2010 Paralympics Facts
- Serbia made its Winter Paralympics debut as a distinct NPC, following its split with Montenegro.
- Latvia, which participated in Turin for the 2006 Winter Paralympics, did not send athletes to Vancouver.
- A total of 506 athletes participated in the Games - An increase from the 476 athletes who participated in 2006.
- Argentina and Romania took part in the Winter Paralympic Games for the first time, as did Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
- 1 - New Era for Canadian Paralympics : CANADIAN PARALYMPIC COMMITTEE (2010/04/01)
- 2 - Free Admission to Paralympic Wheelchair Curling Event : VANOC (2010/03/19)
- 3 - Disabled Canadians Get the Back Seat - Again : Patsy Copus (2010/03/16)
- 4 - Vancouver 2010 Revises Paralympic Alpine Event Schedule : Vancouver Organizing Committee For The 2010 Olympic And Paralympic Winter Games (2010/03/14)
- 5 - 2010 Paralympic Games Event Times and Schedules : Disabled World (2010/03/13)
- 6 - Paralympics 2010 Opening Ceremony : Disabled World (2010/03/13)
- 7 - Paralympic Event Times - 18 Mar 2010 : Disabled World (2010/03/10)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.