2016 Paralympic Games to be Held in Rio de Janeiro
Published : 2009-10-03 - Updated : 2010-02-21
Author : International Paralympic Committee
🛈 Synopsis : Rio de Janeiro elected by International Paralympic Committee to host 2016 Paralympic Games.
Main DigestFollowing three rounds of voting by eligible IOC members, Rio de Janeiro eventually triumphed by taking 66 votes from a possible 98. Other Candidate cities competing for the right to host the 2016 Games were Chicago (United States), Tokyo (Japan) and Madrid (Spain).
Rio de Janeiro Elected to Host 2016 Paralympic Games
At the 121st International Olympic Committee (IOC) Session in Copenhagen, Denmark, Rio de Janeiro(Brazil) was elected to be the host city of the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
International Paralympic Committee (IPC) President and IOC member Sir Philip Craven, IPC Governing Board member and member of the IOC 2016 Evaluation Commission Greg Hartung and IPC CEO Xavier Gonzalez were amongst the attendees.
"I want to congratulate Rio de Janeiro to be elected as host city for the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2016. I know that Rio will do a great job in setting up unique and inspiring Paralympic Games in seven years time", said Sir Philip. He continued: "The quality of all bids was very high, including the content of each presentation about the Paralympics. I am confident that any of the four cities would have put on great Paralympic Games."
Following three rounds of voting by eligible IOC members, Rio de Janeiro eventually triumphed by taking 66 votes from a possible 98. Other Candidate cities competing for the right to host the 2016 Games were Chicago (United States), Tokyo (Japan) and Madrid (Spain).*
The purpose of Rio 2016 is to deliver accessible and inclusive designs for all facilities, maximize media coverage and strengthen the Paralympic Movement. The Olympic and Paralympic Games are the pinnacle of every athlete's career. Rio 2016 will strive to provide conditions that enable the athletes to compete in an environment of excellence, friendship and enjoyment.
*Cities are listed in the order of drawing of lots.
Related Paralympic Games Documents
- 1: International Paralympic Committee Information : Information on The International Paralympic Committee IPC the global governing body of the Paralympic Games and Sports Movement.
- 2: Beijing 2022 and Paris 2024 Paralympic Games Media Rights : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) launches requests for information for Beijing 2022 and Paris 2024 Paralympic Games media rights in Europe.
- 3: Jerry Johnston Awarded IPC Paralympic Order for 2009 : Canadian Paralympic Committee Congratulates Canadian Jerry Johnston on Being Awarded the International Paralympic Committee's Paralympic Order for 2009.
- 4: Harder Than You Think - Paralympic Games Documentary Film : Producers John Battsek and Greg Nugent of HTYT Films producing ground-breaking new feature documentary titled 'Harder Than You Think', which charts the extraordinary story of the Paralympic Games.
- 5: Unique Program Develops Paralympic-Level Winter Athletes : Seven elite student-athletes with disabilities train alongside NCAA winter-sport athletes in a program that is unique to UNH.
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also follow Disabled World on social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: International Paralympic Committee. Electronic Publication Date: 2009-10-03 - Revised: 2010-02-21. Title: 2016 Paralympic Games to be Held in Rio de Janeiro, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/sports/paralympics/2016-paralympic-games-rio.php>2016 Paralympic Games to be Held in Rio de Janeiro</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-12, from https://www.disabled-world.com/sports/paralympics/2016-paralympic-games-rio.php - Reference: DW#32-2464.