Disability Chat Rooms: Online Chat Sites for Disabled
Updated/Revised Date: 2020-04-24
Author: Disabled World | Contact us
Synopsis: Online disability chat room information, includes list and reviews of disabled chatrooms for persons with disabilities and seniors seeking help, companionship and support from others. Disability chat rooms are a good way to hear people's point of view about certain situations, events and circumstances, especially those that may weigh heavily on your mind. Today some online chat rooms incorporate audio and video communications, so that users can see and hear each other.
A chat room, or chatroom, is defined as any form of synchronous conferencing, occasionally even asynchronous conferencing. The term can thus mean any technology ranging from real-time online chat and online interaction with strangers, instant messaging, and online forums, to fully immersive graphical social environments.
Some of the disability chat rooms you will find online cover general disability discussions, while other rooms may focus on a particular subject such as spinal cord injuries, wheelchair chat, head injuries - in fact, just about all types of disabilities and medical conditions you can think of.
Using disability chat rooms is a good way to collect people's point of view about certain situations, events and circumstances, especially those that weigh heavily on your mind. Knowing what other people think about it can help you feel better about things you may be worried or concerned about.
Online chat rooms are also frequented by both non-disabled and disabled persons looking for dates, love - even marriage. Many people with disabilities have found true love online via online chats.
Today you find many disability chat rooms are capable of being used by people who are blind or have vision impairments. If the person has software installed on their computer, known as a screen reader, you can read what is written in the chat room by other users.
Nine round yellow chat emoticons with different facial expressions.
Chat Room Facts and Terminology
- Visual chat rooms add graphics to the chat experience, in either 2D or 3D.
- The first online chat system was called Talkomatic, created by Doug Brown and David R. Woolley in 1973 on the PLATO System at the University of Illinois.
- Chat rooms, particularly those intended for children, usually have rules that they require users to follow.
- Criticism of online chatting and text messaging include concern that they replace proper English with shorthand or with an almost completely new hybrid language.
- Chat rooms are normally used as tools to talk with people that are far away, but many people still use them to talk to people who live near them, because it's very convenient.
- Today some online chat rooms incorporate audio and video communications, so that users can see and hear each other.
- The term chatiquette (chat etiquette) is a variation of netiquette (Internet etiquette) and describes basic rules of online communication.
Handy Chat Related Resources
- List of Texting Acronym Shortcuts for Chatting - Shortcut list of the common acronyms and abbreviations used in chat rooms SMS messages on cell phones and instant messengers such as Yahoo and MSN.
- List of Hotkeys Keyboard Shortcuts for Computers - This handy list of computer keyboard hotkey shortcuts will make computing a lot faster and easier for those with disabilities.
- Disabled Dating: List and Reviews of Disability Dating Sites - Disabled dating websites and disability personals reviews including online dating tips and advice for those with disabilities seeking friendship love and romance.
Disabled World Disability Chat
Our own Disabled World disability chat room is for persons with disabilities and the elderly who are seeking help and support of others (currently Closed). It is free to use our chat, so come on in and meet new friends with disabilities, health conditions, and pain issues that you can relate to. Once you are logged in you can select from several other rooms, however the lobby is the most popular meeting place.
Also, listed below are various chat sites on the internet for real time chatting that can provide disability information and emotional support. Try checking out some of the places listed below, but always remember to consult with your doctor on any information regarding health issues and disabilities that others may share with you.
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
Disabled World is an independent disability community founded in 2004 to provide disability news and information to people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. See our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can connect with us on social media such as Twitter and Facebook or learn more about Disabled World on our about us page.
Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
Cite This Page (APA): Disabled World. (2020, April 24). Disability Chat Rooms: Online Chat Sites for Disabled. Disabled World. Retrieved January 16, 2022 from www.disabled-world.com/communication/disability-chat/