Student Caregiver Scholarship from Caring.com
Author: Caring.com : Contact: www.caring.com
Synopsis and Key Points:
Financial aid scholarship for students attending accredited U.S. university or college while caring for aging or ailing loved one.
According to a 2005 report from the American Journal of Public Health and per 2010 U.S. census data, there are an estimated 5-8 million young adult family caregivers in America (ages 18-24), the majority of whom are caring for an elder female relative such as a grandparent. In multiple research studies with family caregivers over several years, Caring.com has found that providing unpaid care for a relative can be costly, taking a significant financial, emotional, and physical health toll.
"Juggling the responsibilities of caregiving while also pursuing a degree in higher education is really difficult. The time spent on caregiving has the potential to negatively impact academic success, whether by prolonging years of study or lowering their grades," says Caring.com co-founder and CEO Andy Cohen.
"Helping to ease the burden of family caregivers has been Caring.com's social mission from day one, and this new scholarship for student caregivers is one more way we're delivering on that promise."
The new Caring.com Student-Caregiver Scholarship will award each of three (3) university students in the United States a $1,500 #CaringScholar grant for tuition and/or books, based on the applicants' compelling 1,500-word essay or 2-minute video story submissions.
The deadline to apply is May 31, 2015 (11:59 p.m. Pacific Time), and grant recipients will be selected and announced by June 30.
Caring.com will share some of the caregiving stories it receives, and is building a new national conversation around the hashtag #CaringScholar.
"We're excited to receive these students' grant applications, select the best three to receive the awards, and raise more awareness about family caregivers at America's colleges and universities," said Cohen.
Accredited universities and colleges are encouraged to share this information on their financial aid websites and/or in their campus offices, and may contact email@example.com to reach the Caring.com staff managing the grants.
For more information about the Caring.com Student-Caregiver Scholarship, please visit https://www.caring.com/scholarship
- 1 - eSight and CNIB Foundation Scholarship for Students with Sight Loss : eSight and CNIB Foundation (2020/06/03)
- 2 - General Disability Scholarships: Canada : Disabled World (2009/09/18)
- 3 - Lime Connect 2020 Pathways Scholarship for High School Seniors with Disabilities : Lime Connect (2020/05/17)
- 4 - Fighting Spirit Scholarship for Injured and Disabled Veterans - Lockheed Martin : Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company (2016/09/07)
- 5 - Australian Delivering Skills for Today and Tomorrow Scholarships Program : Disabled World (2020/04/27)
- 6 - List of Scholarships for Minority Students : Disabled World (2019/01/31)
- 7 - The Freshman Scholarship for 2019-2020 School Year : OneClass (2019/06/14)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.