Staying Power: Age-Proof Your Home for Comfort, Safety and Style
Author: Sage Tree Publishing
Published: 2013-03-17 : (Rev. 2013-03-18)
Synopsis and Key Points:
User-friendly handbook to share simple solutions for common challenges and offers practical help for people who want to age in place.
Main DigestAs the Graying of America Accelerates, New Book Offers Practical Help for People Who Want to "Age in Place". Staying Power: Age-Proof Your Home for Comfort, Safety and Style is First User-Friendly Handbook to Share Simple Solutions for Common Challenges.
Every day, 10,000 Americans turn 65. That's 10,000 more people dealing with issues like knee pain or cataracts. Most of them love their homes, but as the years go on, their homes don't always love them back. A timely new book, Staying Power: Age-Proof Your Home for Comfort, Safety and Style , is designed to empower aging adults to make their homes safer, more comfortable and more livable, by themselves or with help from friends, family members and professionals. This practical, problem-solving guide, available in the first quarter of 2013, is the first to combine the latest insights into aging with expert-approved, easy-to-follow age-proofing instructions.
Written by Rachel Adelson, M.A., an award-winning author with extensive knowledge of aging and health concerns, Staying Power: Age-Proof Your Home for Comfort, Safety and Style is organized around the typical physical and mental changes of normal aging, making it easy to tailor any kind of home for individual needs. Starting with a chat about "aging" as a demographic and cultural phenomenon, the book supports people seeking ways to broach this sensitive issue, spells out how to prevent falls and fires (the top home hazards for older adults), and presents easy-to-implement adaptations for everything from arthritis, tremor and balance problems, to vision and hearing loss and the normal memory blips that come with age. It also offers expert home-based fitness tips to build the essential physical capacity for independence.
Staying Power: Age-Proof Your Home for Comfort, Safety and Style aims to replace fear with understanding by explaining the aging process in clear, conversational language. It offers boomers and beyond simple, proven solutions for common challenges, making it easier to plan ahead for changing abilities; customize furnishings, layout and decor without breaking the back or the budget; and cook, wash, work, work out, socialize and enjoy other regular daily activities.
Available in both print and ebook formats from Sage Tree Publishing, Staying Power: Age-Proof Your Home for Comfort, Safety and Style includes handy checklists and shopping lists to help readers organize and kick-start their age-proofing projects. A comprehensive appendix lists scores of essential U.S. and Canadian books, websites, organizations and government agencies that help with a wide variety of aging-related issues.
Staying Power: Age-Proof Your Home for Comfort, Safety and Style is also a valuable resource for elder-care and housing professionals, including geriatric care managers, occupational therapists, home-health agencies and equipment providers, interior designers and realtors, and contractors and handymen.
"We've all heard and read the staggering statistics on our aging population," said Adelson. "Beyond the numbers are millions of proud, self-sufficient individuals who have made their desire to age at home very clear. Once they have access to what the experts know, I believe they can and will adapt their surroundings to meet their specific needs."
Adelson wrote the book for her fellow Baby Boomers as well. "People in midlife want to know how to help the older generation. Staying Power: Age-Proof Your Home for Comfort, Safety and Style is also for them, with advice on communication, assessment and planning. It can help anyone - parents, partners or progeny - move past denial and frustration, toward acceptance and constructive collaboration."
Sage Tree Publishing brings readers trustworthy, easy-to-read information on aging and health. Staying Power: Age-Proof Your Home for Comfort, Safety and Style is its first title.
The book is currently available online through a number of sites including: Amazon.com, Barnesandnoble.com, Kobobooks.com, and the Sony Reader Store.
- 1 - Creation, Evolution, and the Handicapped: Crushing the Death Image : Pastor Richard Luther Corwin (2016/06/23)
- 2 - Missing Frames: Memoir of a Woman Living with Hidden Disabilities : Scooter (2016/07/01)
- 3 - Writings On the Wall: Disability Advocate's Uplifting Book of Poetry : Robert M. Hensel (2016/08/14)
- 4 - Wheelchair Exercising Book: Zero Assistance Resistance Training by Dan Highcock : Dan Highcock (2016/10/03)
- 5 - Single Handed : A Book by Hanoch Budin : Hanoch Budin (2016/10/27)
- 6 - Spinning in Circles and Learning From Myself by Tsara Shelton : Tsara Shelton (2018/05/16)
- 7 - Book : Walk in My Shoes : DeafBlind Writers Tell All : Ramona Rice (2017/01/03)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.