United Spinal Association Acquires New Mobility Magazine
Author: United Spinal Association
Published: 2010-10-01 : (Rev. 2013-08-01)
Synopsis and Key Points:
United Spinal Association acquisition of New Mobility magazine levers capabilities of both organizations to improve lives of people with disabilities.
Main DigestTwo Leaders Serving the Disability Community Partner to Expand Advocacy and Information.
United Spinal Association will announce today the acquisition of New Mobility magazine, leveraging capabilities of both organizations to improve the lives of people with disabilities nationwide.
The organizations will retain their individual names and United Spinal Association will continue the publication of New Mobility uninterrupted.
United Spinal Association, a national nonprofit and pioneer in the disability rights movement with more than 60 years of experience, advocates for people with disabilities by removing the medical, legal, architectural, and attitudinal barriers confronting many in their daily lives.
Paul J. Tobin, president and CEO of United Spinal Association said, "United Spinal and New Mobility share a legacy and vision to improve the lives of people with disabilities and mobility impairments. By integrating talents and areas of expertise, we can promote unprecedented access to information, resources and opportunity."
New Mobility magazine is recognized nationally as the premier lifestyle publication for active wheelchair users. For 20 years it has offered information and personal stories that encourage readers to participate in all areas of life, take charge of their health, seek assistive technology and assert legal rights.
New Mobility publisher Jeff Leonard said, "New Mobility will continue to break stereotypes with contemporary images and stories. United Spinal will continue to remove barriers in society and organize positive change. We will simply be in a better position to support each other's efforts."
The acquisition will be formally announced Friday afternoon at a special reception during United Spinal's Independence Expo, at the Buena Vista Palace Hotel and Convention Center in Orlando, Fla. The Expo, which continues through Saturday, Oct. 2, is designed to promote active living and independence for all people with disabilities and aging Americans.
United Spinal Association and New Mobility have been collaborating for years on issues that affect the wheelchair community, such as improved access to power wheelchairs, lightweight manual wheelchairs, seating systems and other assistive technologies that facilitate an active, community-integrated lifestyle.
About United Spinal Association -United Spinal is a national 501(c) (3) nonprofit membership organization formed in 1946 by paralyzed veterans and is dedicated to improving the quality of life for all Americans with spinal cord injuries and disorders (SCI/D), including multiple sclerosis, spina bifida, ALS and post-polio. It played a significant role in writing the Americans with Disabilities Act, and made important contributions to the Fair Housing Amendments Act and the Air Carrier Access Act. Membership is free and is open to all individuals with SCI/D. United Spinal was instrumental in getting New York City to create sidewalk curb ramps and accessible public transportation that has been used as a model for many United States cities.
About New Mobility -New Mobility is a colorful lifestyle magazine for active wheelchair users seeking full participation in all that life has to offer "education, work, relationships, sex, parenting, home, media, recreation, travel and more. Through contemporary images, journalism and personal stories, NM also explores the latest news in healthy living, assistive technology and legal rights. Rooted in disability culture but committed to societal integration, the magazine recently changed its tagline from "life on wheels" to "life beyond wheels."
- 1 - Creation, Evolution, and the Handicapped: Crushing the Death Image : Pastor Richard Luther Corwin (2016/06/23)
- 2 - Missing Frames: Memoir of a Woman Living with Hidden Disabilities : Scooter (2016/07/01)
- 3 - Writings On the Wall: Disability Advocate's Uplifting Book of Poetry : Robert M. Hensel (2016/08/14)
- 4 - Wheelchair Exercising Book: Zero Assistance Resistance Training by Dan Highcock : Dan Highcock (2016/10/03)
- 5 - Single Handed : A Book by Hanoch Budin : Hanoch Budin (2016/10/27)
- 6 - Spinning in Circles and Learning From Myself by Tsara Shelton : Tsara Shelton (2018/05/16)
- 7 - Book : Walk in My Shoes : DeafBlind Writers Tell All : Ramona Rice (2017/01/03)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.