U.K. Diversability Card Provides Discounts for Disabled
- Publish Date: 2019/03/19 - (Rev. 2019/04/23)
- Author: Disabled World
- Contact : www.disabled-world.com
Outline: The U.K. Diversability Card is a discount card for disabled in the UK and provides exclusive discounts with brands, services, and entertainment providers. Diversability Card provides discounted access, products & services. The Diversability Card was originally founded by Shani Dhanda.
What is the Diversability Card?
The U.K. Diversability Card is the official discount card for people with disabilities in the United Kingdom. The Diversability Card provides exclusive and market leading discounts with brands, service and entertainment providers. The Diversability Card was originally founded by disability rights campaigner Shani Dhanda, who has Osteogenesis Imperfecta, a rare genetic condition also known as Brittle Bone Disease.
Research from the U.K. Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) revealed people with disabilities find shopping the most difficult experience for accessibility. Other accessibility concerns were; going to the cinema, the theatre and music concerts. The Diversability Card was created in response to those exclusions and accessibility issues people with disability face on a daily basis.
Diversability: Clipart image of diverse range of different colored silhouettes of people.
According to The Family Resources Survey 2016-17(1) the total spending power of families with at least one disabled person is estimated at £249 billion a year. There are approximately 13.9 million disabled people in the UK:
- 8% of children are disabled
- 19% of working age adults are disabled
- 45% of pension age adults are disabled
- On average, disabled people face extra costs of £570 a month related to their impairment or condition.
- The annual cost of bringing up a disabled child is three times greater than that of bringing up a non-disabled child.(2)
Both Businesses and Disabled Benefit
The Diversability Card not only aims to support disabled people, it aims to educate businesses as well as service providers through training and highlighting specific changes and improvements that will make a tremendous difference to the millions of people with disability who often miss out.
Shani is calling on consumers with disabilities, as well as businesses, to support the new scheme, which provides a win for businesses by providing them a means to integrate their corporate and social responsibilities whilst diversifying their market reach. And, the Diversability Card benefits those with disabilities by providing discounted access, products, and services from the participating businesses.
Eligibility Criteria for The Diversability Card
If you receive one of the following benefits you are eligible to receive The U.K. Diversability Card (3,4):
- Blue Badge
- Blind Persons Registration
- Attendance Allowance (AA)
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
Diversability Card Video on YouTube.
For further information and application for The Diversability Card please visit: https://www.diversabilitycard.co.uk
What Does Diversability Mean?
Diversability is an award-winning global movement to re-brand disability that began in Washington, DC with Tiffany Yu in 2009. The term Diversability is currently a movement as the preferred term to replace the word "disability and disabilities". The word "disabilities" is said to be associated with the past and people's negative experiences with institutions. The term Diversability however embraces the uniqueness and potential in every human being, disabled or non-disabled. Diversabilities refer to physical, cognitive, developmental, learning, and/or neurological differences, or diversity, in ability levels. Diversability events promote an atmosphere where individuals are comfortable discussing and exploring questions about accessibility, equality, and inclusion for people with disabilities.
(1) Family Resources Survey: financial year 2016/17 - Results from the Family Resources Survey for financial year 2016 to 2017, providing information on income and circumstances of UK households. https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/family-resources-survey-financial-year-201617
(2) Diversability Card - Virgin Media Business Ltd https://voom.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/pitches/diversability-card
(3) South Wilts Mencap https://www.southwiltsmencap.org.uk/news/diversability-card/
- 1 - Amtrak Everyday Rail Travel Discounts | Disabled World | 2018/09/06
- 2 - U.K. Diversability Card Provides Discounts for Disabled | Disabled World | 2019/03/19
- 3 - Cultural Institutions Offering Free Access or Discounts to People with Disability | Adrian Edwards-Smith | 2019/03/18
- 4 - Tax Breaks for People with Disabilities | Allsup | 2011/02/18
- 5 - Cheap Internet for Disabled, Seniors and Low-Income Americans | Disabled World | 2018/10/21