Cancer Prevention Through Good Nutrition
Author: Jean Burger
By getting the antioxidants found in fresh fruits and vegetables and supplements I am aiding my immune system.
Main DigestWhen I was diagnosed with bladder cancer, one of the questions I asked was," What causes bladder cancer" My doctor told me that people who smoke, work in beauty salons and handle dye, and people who work in the petroleum industry are the most prone to get bladder cancer.
When I was diagnosed with bladder cancer, one of the questions I asked was," What causes bladder cancer" My doctor told me that people who smoke, work in beauty salons and handle dye, and people who work in the petroleum industry are the most prone to get bladder cancer.
While I never did any of the things he related were causes, I was surrounded by second hand tobacco smoke all my life. I had regularly dyed my hair from the age of sixteen, and I used petroleum products on a regular basis. Just examining my cosmetic labels and cleaning fluids revealed my exposure to petroleum. Next I asked my doctor if there was anything I could do in my diet that could prevent the cancer from coming back. He told me to eat a normal healthy diet.
My whole experience with bladder cancer sent me on a quest to find out exactly why exposure to the above mentioned chemicals would cause bladder cancer. I have a friend who owned a health food store called "Better Health Naturally". She knew a lot about nutrition and disease, so I approached her with the question about preventing cancer. She gave me a lot of information that I have been using successfully. Through library research and her informative literature I learned why cancerous cells form in the body and how to prevent that from happening. Here is the caveat : Nutrition is very important to the health of the human body, but it is very complicated and a careful diagnosis of what is needed at the cellular level must be made in order to prevent cancer.
Here is what I learned.
There are numerous vitamins, minerals, enzymes, antioxidants, amino acids, and other nutrients that play an important role in healthy cellular function. The immune system uses some of these nutrients to fight off disease and abnormal cellular activity. When foreign toxic elements enter the bloodstream, if the immune system is functioning properly it will recognize and attack to destroy these foreign particles. However, if it is not healthy, it will ignore the toxins and let them pass. The body then, if it does not have the materials it needs, will pick up these toxins and take them into the cells and this causes the abnormal or cancerous cells to form. Then the RNA sends messages to the DNA to reproduce these abnormal cells.
EXAMPLE: One building block of cellular structure is magnesium. If we are not taking in magnesium in a form that the body can use, then the amino acids that carry the magnesium to the cell for use will recognize cadmium ( a main component of second hand cigarette smoke) as the mineral it needs. (Cadmium is similar to magnesium in structure). When cadmium is taken into the cell, cancerous cells may be formed.
What type of cancer is formed depends on many factors.
If a persons genetics has a tendency toward skin cancer, the cancer may form in the skin....if to lung cancer, it may form in the lungs. If a person has a weakness in a certain body part because of an injury or because of exposure to harmful drugs or environmental pollution, the cancer could form in that area. Also if a person has a diet that has damaged some organ, or if one leads a stressful lifestyle, those factors can determine which body part will become cancerous.
Proper nutrition can prevent cancer.
Learning about myself and my lifestyle habits, helped me to avoid the harmful chemicals that contribute to bladder cancer. Learning about nutrition that benefits the immune system, and the bladder helped me to build up my defenses against cancer. By feeding my body the minerals, vitamins, enzymes and amino acids it needs, I can insure that the proper building blocks for healthy cell production are there.
By getting the antioxidants found in fresh fruits and vegetables and supplements, I am aiding my immune system in its proper function. Will I get cancer again
The caveat mentioned above leaves the question unanswerable. I do not have the wisdom, or the means to make absolutely 100% sure that my body has every thing it needs to stay cancer free, but I do have the satisfaction of knowing that to my best ability I am feeding it what it needs to stay healthy and I have been cancer free for ten years.
- 1 - Eggs and Cholesterol Good for You or Not? : Thomas C. Weiss (2016/01/12)
- 2 - $16.8 Million to Help SNAP Participants Purchase Healthy Foods : U.S. National Institute of Food and Agriculture (2017/08/08)
- 3 - Dietary Guidelines on Eating Seafood - Especially During Pregnancy : National Fisheries Institute (2011/01/31)
- 4 - How Much Does One Serving Size Equal : Disabled World (2014/09/12)
- 5 - What Does a Healthy Meal Look Like? MyPlate Guidelines : Cornell Food and Brand Lab (2013/12/29)
- 6 - FDA Effort to Advance Implementation of New Consumer Nutrition Facts Label for Foods : U.S. Food and Drug Administration (2018/03/01)
- 7 - Picky or Fussy Eating Habits in Children : Thomas C. Weiss (2015/08/12)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.