Major Nutrition Labelling Initiative - Canada
Author: Health Canada
- Launch of Nutrition Facts Education Campaign to help Canadians make informed food choices.
Main DigestThe Honorable Leona Aglukkaq, Minister of Health, and Nancy Croitoru, President & CEO, Food & Consumer Products of Canada (FCPC), today announced the launch of the Nutrition Facts Education Campaign to help Canadians make informed food choices.
Health Canada and FCPC developed the multi-media Nutrition Facts Education Campaign that focuses on increasing Canadians' understanding of the Nutrition Facts table and, in particular, the % Daily Value.
"We know that many consumers are using the information in the Nutrition Facts table," said Minister of Health Leona Aglukkaq. "This innovative, national initiative builds on ongoing efforts by our Government to help Canadians better understand and use this information to make healthier food choices for themselves and their families."
The initiative includes a multi-faceted approach to explain % Daily Value to consumers, through messaging to appear on food packages, in-store, and in national media (print, television, online), directing Canadians to Health Canada's educational website. The website www.healthcanada.gc.ca/dailyvalue has a wealth of information and tips on how to use % Daily Value to make healthier food choices.
"The Government of Canada and FCPC's collaboration on this initiative provides information to Canadians in a variety of ways to help them when choosing a food or deciding between products," said FCPC president Nancy Croitoru. "Using the % Daily Value is a quick way for consumers to know if a packaged food contains a little or a lot of a nutrient."
Together, the Government of Canada and FCPC are working with stakeholders from the health, food retail and industry sectors to reach Canadians with this important nutrition information.
For more information on the Nutrition Facts Education Campaign, visit Health Canada's Web site.
- 1 - Eggs and Cholesterol Good for You or Not? : Thomas C. Weiss (2016/01/12)
- 2 - $16.8 Million to Help SNAP Participants Purchase Healthy Foods : U.S. National Institute of Food and Agriculture (2017/08/08)
- 3 - Dietary Guidelines on Eating Seafood - Especially During Pregnancy : National Fisheries Institute (2011/01/31)
- 4 - How Much Does One Serving Size Equal : Disabled World (2014/09/12)
- 5 - What Does a Healthy Meal Look Like? MyPlate Guidelines : Cornell Food and Brand Lab (2013/12/29)
- 6 - FDA Effort to Advance Implementation of New Consumer Nutrition Facts Label for Foods : U.S. Food and Drug Administration (2018/03/01)
- 7 - Picky or Fussy Eating Habits in Children : Thomas C. Weiss (2015/08/12)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.