Dry Skin: Causes : Prevention : Treatments
Author: Disabled World : Contact: www.disabled-world.com
Published: 2009-08-06 : (Rev. 2020-05-17)
Article examines the many factors that can be the cause of scaly or dry skin, includes several suggested treatments if your skin is chafed and dry.
- Mineral oil, paraffin wax, and petrolatum in creams designed for getting rid of dry skin will do little more than clog your pores, and trap dirt and grime deep down in your skin.
- Cold weather is one of the most common causes of dry skin. Dry skin is one of the major factors that accounts for the formation of facial wrinkles and fine lines in the human skin.
Through the years, people have been searching for the best possible treatments and cure for dry skin. Though the condition is not considered a formal disease type, people feel the need to abruptly get rid and treat the skin condition.
There are many people all over the world who are suffering from a common skin condition known as dry skin. This skin condition is not very serious, but is a usual cause of alarm for many.
That is because aside from the discomfort caused by it, there is also a manifestation of unsightly and rough skin. Dry skin is also a main factor that is accounted for formation of wrinkles and fine lines in the skin.
Through the years, people have been searching for the best possible treatments and cure for dry skin. Though the condition is not considered a formal disease type, people feel the need to abruptly get rid and treat the skin condition. Surely, there are many skin care and treatment products across the market that are proven to help people eliminate and prevent the dry skin.
Before searching for treatment and prevention measures, practices and medications, it would be appropriate if you would first understand and determine the real causes of the skin condition. Finding and understanding the roots and the origins of the skin problem would be instrumental in effectively curtailing and controlling dry skin. Here are several identified and proven causes of the skin condition.
Illustration shows the three primary layers of human skin; epidermis, dermis, and hypodermis.
It is a known fact that most of dry skin cases are caused by hereditary factors.
If the skin condition has been passed within a family from generation to generation, there is a bigger chance that one would be bogged by the problem.
As of now, there is still no definite measure that would contradict hereditary factors for dry skin. But dealing with the problem upon manifestation is one way of containing it.
Excessive and very abrupt loss of weight is known to cause dry skin.
When it comes to weight problems, the thyroid glands is responsible. That is because the glands handle and control the metabolic factors within the body. Thus, when the thyroid becomes under-active, weight problems may occur. And usually, along with weight problems come dry skin conditions.
Of course, aging is a practical and logical factor that results to dry skin. Through the natural and inevitable process, the natural lubrication and necessary oil and lipids in the skin are diminished significantly, making the skin lose its natural protection against having dry skin. Notice that old men and women normally have dry skin.
Cold weather is also one of the most common causes of dry skin.
The skin naturally loses moisture when the humidity is significantly low and the climate or environment condition is very windy. People in cold climate countries naturally complain about dryness of the skin. Getting into artificially cold climate like in air conditioned rooms can also deceive the skin and result to dry skin.
Overall, dry skin is a problem that is very common.
Though it is not severe and is relatively serious, people have different approaches to handling and acknowledging the problem. If you are suffering from the condition, analyze your own skin and determine which possible cause may have exhibited in your skin. From that, you can easily move on to find the best treatment to eliminate dryness of your skin.
Tips for Moisturizing Dry Skin
Try consuming about 8 glasses of water per day. Try this for about a week and see if you get any results. If you notice this is not working then move on to the next thing.
Other things you can do is to buy treatment products from your local drugstore and give them a go. These include natural vitamins and oils. Many people have reported results with these so you might as well give them a try as well. Real natural topical creams for dry skin will contain plant based oils, waxes, and emollients in them, for these ingredients contain properties which make them excellent for use on your skin. Compounds such as avocado, grape seed, macadamia, and olive oils will moisturize your skin, and keep it that way.
Mineral oil, paraffin wax, and petrolatum in creams for getting rid of dry skin will do little more than clog your pores, and trap dirt and grime deep down in your skin. This is due to the fact that they are all too dense to penetrate your skin. The collected dirt will eventually cause the formation of blackheads, and possibly the onset of acne.
While in the shower, you want to use Aveeno's in shower bath oil. Apply it to your skin, then rinse off, then pat yourself dry with a towel. If you want serious moisturizing, wash yourself with the oil itself. After drying off, you will want to apply a good body lotion. I would suggest using Nivea, Aveeno, or Cetaphil.
I've found that the ingredients like Cynergy TK and Phytessence Wakame are the ones that work best for me. A few other ingredients that I also found to work well are Active Manuka Honey and Nano-Lipobelle H-EQ 10. These are all cutting age ingredients that are usually only found in the best natural skin care products.
- 1 - Dry Skin: Causes : Prevention : Treatments : Disabled World (2009/08/06)
- 2 - Age Spots : Sun Spots : Liver Spots : Solar Lentigines : Thomas C. Weiss (2010/12/08)
- 3 - Clark's Nevus: Facts and Information : Thomas C. Weiss (2009/11/22)
- 4 - Moles, Dysplastic Nevi, Melanoma : Thomas C. Weiss (2010/10/14)
- 5 - Athlete's Foot : Causes Symptoms and Treatment : Disabled World (2009/04/14)
- 6 - Shingles - Herpes Zoster: Symptoms | Treatment | Prevention : Disabled World (2009/03/30)
- 7 - Pre-cancers and Actinic Keratosis : Thomas C. Weiss (2010/12/03)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.