- 50 Tyson - rapper and autism activist
- Albert Einstein - Einstein had difficulty with social interactions, was very intelligent but had difficulty learning in school.
- Alexis Wineman - The first Miss America contestant with autism to compete in the Miss Montana pageant.
- Alonzo Clemons - American clay sculptor
- Amadeus Mozart - Famous musician.
- Amanda Baggs - advocate of rights for autistic people
- Bhumi Jensen - grandson of Bhumibol Adulyadej, King of Thailand
- Birger Sellin - German author
- Caiseal Mor - author, musician, and artist
- Christopher Knowles - American poet
- Courtney Love - frontwoman of Hole
- Daniel Tammet - British autistic savant
- Daryl Hannah - The actress talked to People Magazine about being diagnosed with autism as a child, and how it contributed to a fear of fame as an adult.
- Derek Paravicini - blind British musician
- Dylan Scott Pierce - wildlife illustrator
- Elisabeth Hughes - Author
- Evgeny Kissin - Russian pianist
- Gary Numan - Singer and songwriter
- Henriett Seth F. - Hungarian autistic savant, poet, writer and artist
- Hikari Oe - Japanese composer
- James Durbin - American Idol front-runner
- James Henry Pullen - gifted British carpenter
- James Hobley - British dancer and 2011 Britain's Got Talent finalist
- Jason McElwain - high school basketball player
- Jessica-Jane Applegate - Paralympic swimmer
- Jim Sinclair - autism rights activist
- Jonathan Jayne - contestant on American Idol
- Jonathan Lerman - American artist
- Leslie Lemke - blind American musician
- Luca Brecel - Belgian professional snooker player.
- Lucy Blackman - university educated author
- Marty Balin - singer and songwriter with Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship
- Matt Savage - U.S. jazz prodigy
- Matthew Laborteaux - Actor
- Michelle Dawson - autism researcher and autism rights activist
- Peter Tork - Musician
- Richard Wawro - Scottish artist
- Stephen Wiltshire - British architectural artist
- Temple Grandin - food animal handling systems designer and author
- Temple Grandin - Colorado State University calls her "the most accomplished and well-known adult with autism in the world."
- Thristan Mendoza - Filipino marimba prodigy
- Tito Mukhopadhyay - author, poet, and philosopher
- Todd Hodgetts - Paralympic shot putter
- Tony DeBlois - blind American musician
- Vincent Philip D'Onofrio - American actor, director, film producer, writer, and singer.
Famous People with Autism Spectrum Disorders
Author: Disabled World : Contact: www.disabled-world.com
Published: 2014-01-29 : (Rev. 2018-10-12)
Synopsis and Key Points:
A list of well known people who are known to have autism or a related condition on the autism spectrum.
Autism is a general term used to describe a group of complex developmental brain disorders - autism spectrum disorders - caused by a combination of genes and environmental influences. These disorders are characterized, in varying degrees, by communication difficulties, social and behavioral challenges, as well as repetitive behaviors. An estimated one in 88 children in the U.S. is on the autism spectrum - a 78 percent increase in six years that is only partly explained by improved diagnosis.
Autism is a brain development disorder characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and restricted and repetitive behavior, all starting before a child is three years old. This set of signs distinguishes autism from milder autism spectrum disorders (ASD) such as pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS).
High-functioning autism (HFA) is an informal term applied to autistic people who are deemed to be "higher functioning" than other autistic people, by one or more metrics. There is no consensus as to the definition. HFA is not yet a recognized diagnosis in the DSM-IV-TR or the ICD-10.
A person with high-functioning autism usually has average or above average intelligence. The differences from other forms of autism have led many psychiatrists to consider high-functioning autism as similar to or the same as Asperger's syndrome. However, the amount of overlap between HFA and Asperger syndrome is disputed. Some researchers argue that the two are distinct diagnostic entities, others argue that they are indistinguishable. (Famous People with Aspergers Syndrome)
NOTE: If you know of a discrepancy in this list please contact us so we can amend the entry.
- 1: List of Physically Disabled World Leaders and Politicians : Disabled World (2015/05/04)
- 2: Art and Disability : Marcy Hernandez, Founder/Artist The International Association of Artists With Disabilities; Gracie’s Place Art Studio (2019/09/11)
- 3: Famous Well Known People with Hearing Impairments and Deafness : Disabled World (2017/11/10)
- 4: Vichay Phommachan: Deaf Artist, Actor, Model, and Dancer : Disabled World (2020/09/12)
- 5: Famous People Who Are Dyslexic or Had Dyslexia : Disabled World (2017/11/10)
- 6: List of Famous Amputees : Disabled World (2017/11/10)
- 7: Famous People with Tourettes Syndrome : Disabled World (2017/11/10)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.