- Bruce Payne
- Buddy Winnett
- Frida Kahlo (Disputed - See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frida_Kahlo)
- Gilbert M. Gaul
- Hank Williams
- Jay Bradford Fowler
- Jean Driscoll
- John Cougar Mellencamp
- Judy Woodruff
- Paul Monette
- Rene Kirby
- Robert Hensel
- Van Smith
Famous People with Spina Bifida
- Publish Date: 2017/11/10 - (Rev. 2019/04/23)
- Author: Disabled World
- Contact : www.disabled-world.com
Outline: List of well known and famous people both past and present who were born with Spina Bifida.
There is no single cause of spina bifida nor any known way to prevent it entirely. However, dietary supplementation with folic acid has been shown to be helpful in preventing spina bifida.
Spina bifida is a developmental birth defect involving the neural tube, incomplete closure of the embryonic neural tube results in an incompletely formed spinal cord.
Spina bifida malformations fall into three categories:
- Spina bifida occulta
- Spina bifida cystica (myelomeningocele)
The most common location of the malformations is the lumbar and sacral areas of the spinal cord. The lumbar nerves control the muscles in the hip, leg, knee and foot, and help to keep the body erect.
There is no cure for nerve damage due to spina bifida. To prevent further damage of the nervous tissue and to prevent infection, pediatric neurosurgeons operate to close the opening on the back.
Neural tube defects can usually be detected during pregnancy by testing the mother's blood (AFP screening) or a detailed fetal ultrasound. Spina bifida may be associated with other malformations as in dysmorphic syndromes, often resulting in spontaneous miscarriage.
NOTE: If you know of a discrepancy in this list please contact us so we can amend the entry.
- 1 - Famous People Who Have or Had Asperger's Syndrome | Michelle Fattig | 2017/11/10
- 2 - Famous People Who Had and Have Polio | Disabled World | 2017/11/10
- 3 - Art and Disability | Marcy Hernandez, Founder/Artist The International Association of Artists With Disabilities; Gracie’s Place Art Studio | 2019/09/11
- 4 - Famous People Who Died from Head and Neck Cancer | Disabled World | 2019/08/13
- 5 - Famous People Who Have or Had Lou Gehrigs Disease (ALS) | Disabled World | 2017/11/10