Paralympics 2010 Opening Ceremony
Author: Disabled World : Contact: Disabled World
Published: 2010-03-13 : (Rev. 2017-12-24)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Overview of the 2010 Canadian Paralympic Games opening ceremony in BC Place Stadium Vancouver British Columbia.
Overview of the 2010 Canadian Paralympic Games opening ceremony in BC Place Stadium, Vancouver, British Columbia.
The Opening Ceremony for the 2010 Paralympics took place in BC Place Stadium in Vancouver, British Columbia on March 12th 2010 in front of a sold-out crowd of 60,000 spectators.
The ceremony featured an address from Rick Hansen, a Canadian athlete and activist for people with spinal cord injuries, and a moving tribute to Canada's most famous athlete with a physical disabilty Terry Fox, a humanitarian who raised awareness for cancer with his Marathon of Hope, before losing his battle at age 22.
Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean set the tone as she walked on stage holding hands with two children on either side. Then the stage became a sea of dancing children in the form of a maple leaf.
An estimated 1,350 athletes, coaches and officials from 44 countries, including 50 Americans entered BC Place Stadium. As the athletes came in some limped, others bore crutches. Some waved just one arm; others with visual impairments were led in by guides. Everyone smiled and many people present thought the Paralympic Games opening ceremony was better than the one for the 2010 Olympic Games.
The ceremony also featured six extreme athletes with physical disabilities, including American Aaron "Wheelz" Fotheringham, performing tricks on bikes and in wheelchairs.
The Paralympics feature 64 events in five sports: alpine skiing, biathlon, cross-country skiing, wheelchair curling and sled hockey.
The Paralympic Games are not only a celebration of sport, but they are also a window into the indomitable spirit of men and women.
For those who can not be present at the Paralympics, Disabled World has provided information on Live Coverage and Replays of the 2010 Paralympic Games
- 1 - Paralympics Biathlon - Adaptive Skiing and Shooting : Joe Macmillan and Irma Mac Millan (2008/12/23)
- 2 - U.S. National Sled Hockey Team Earns Olympic Committee Honors : USA Hockey (2010/01/24)
- 3 - Schools Learn About 2010 Games with Digital Technology : UBC Faculty of Education (2010/02/13)
- 4 - Donate Sell or Buy Olympic and Paralympic Games Tickets : VANOC (2009/12/28)
- 5 - 2010 Paralympics Games - The Sports : Joe Macmillan and Irma Mac Millan (2008/12/22)
- 6 - Paralympic Event Times - 14 Mar 2010 : Disabled World (2010/03/10)
- 7 - Paralympic Events and Times - 15 Mar 2010 : Disabled World (2010/03/10)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.