Christina's Courage - A Disability Poem by Richard M. Deets
Author: Richard M. Deets
Christinas Courage by Richard M. Deets is a piece of poetry relating to disability.
Main DigestChristina's Courage by Richard M. Deets is a piece of poetry relating to disability.
We were in Chadds Ford and talked of Wyeth art,
Timeless as Brandywine Valley landscapes.
We weighed the mystery of Christina's courage
Rising above the crippling curse of polio, as
Mid-March chills encroached upon the evening hour.
Then the wind battered shutters and bent
Daffodils and chickweed, and rain
Splashed the riverward windows. We romanticized ourselves
Children bicycling winding country roads over rolling hills
Dropping into sleepy valleys, and your flaming auburn
Hair was always beyond reach.
Suddenly rain showers slowed to a quiet
Drizzle; for a moment, the only sound we
Heard was the cardinal striking the steel casement window.
I stood in the doorway drying forearm crutches, and turned
To see you drooping in your wheelchair, staring down
Stainless braces stacked in night shadows
As if searching for the child
Paralysis free, no longer there.
I watched as a tear
Rounded your pale cheek and fell.
And what of the spring day
Remained - a Norfolk Southern freight whistle faded
Northward and the courage of Christina,
Which we had discussed, appeared out of reach in the rain.
- Richard M. Deets
- 1 - COVID-19... Leave The World Now! A Poem by Flora Aguasa : Flora Aguasa (2020/03/31)
- 2 - A Voice of a Forlorn Blind Woman : Flora Aguasa (2020/03/31)
- 3 - National Poetry Contest Winners - Disability in the Workplace : Fedcap (2010/04/19)
- 4 - Disability Poem by Nancy Hall : Nancy Hall (2018/11/14)
- 5 - Poems by Flora Aguasa : Flora Aguasa (2018/09/08)
- 6 - Poems: Cranky Old Man : Crabbit Old Woman : A Nurses Reply : Disabled World (2017/01/20)
- 7 - Did Elizabeth Barrett Browning Have Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis : Penn State (2011/12/20)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.