Christina's Courage - A Disability Poem by Richard M. Deets
Published : 2012-03-15
Author : Richard M. Deets
Synopsis* : Christinas Courage by Richard M. Deets is a piece of poetry relating to disability.
Main DigestChristina's Courage by Richard M. Deets is a piece of poetry relating to disability.
We were in Chadds Ford and talked of Wyeth art,
Timeless as Brandywine Valley landscapes.
We weighed the mystery of Christina's courage
Rising above the crippling curse of polio, as
Mid-March chills encroached upon the evening hour.
Then the wind battered shutters and bent
Daffodils and chickweed, and rain
Splashed the riverward windows. We romanticized ourselves
Children bicycling winding country roads over rolling hills
Dropping into sleepy valleys, and your flaming auburn
Hair was always beyond reach.
Suddenly rain showers slowed to a quiet
Drizzle; for a moment, the only sound we
Heard was the cardinal striking the steel casement window.
I stood in the doorway drying forearm crutches, and turned
To see you drooping in your wheelchair, staring down
Stainless braces stacked in night shadows
As if searching for the child
Paralysis free, no longer there.
I watched as a tear
Rounded your pale cheek and fell.
And what of the spring day
Remained - a Norfolk Southern freight whistle faded
Northward and the courage of Christina,
Which we had discussed, appeared out of reach in the rain.
- Richard M. Deets
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, disability sports events, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Related Poetry - Poems Documents
- 1 - A Voice of a Forlorn Blind Woman : A Voice of a Forlorn Blind Woman...October, Please, Leave Me Now and Never Come Back!!! A poem written by Flora Aguasa.
- 2 - COVID-19... Leave The World Now! A Poem by Flora Aguasa : A short poem written by Flora Aguasa, in regards to the current novel coronavirus global pandemic, titled COVID-19... Leave The World Now!.
- 3 - Disability Poem by Nancy Hall : This poem by Nancy Hall shows just how lonely some individuals with disabilities can get as they are often abandoned by those they love the most.
- 4 - Poems by Flora Aguasa : Five poems by Flora Aguasa that relate to being blind, disability, and faith.
- 5 - The Cost of Freedom & I Served My Country by Teresa Gail Carver Godin : The Cost of Freedom and I Served My Country are poems written by Teresa Gail Carver Godin, a 20 year, 100% disabled, Air Force veteran.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Richard M. Deets. Electronic Publication Date: 2012-03-15. Title: Christina's Courage - A Disability Poem by Richard M. Deets, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/communication/poetry/christinas-courage.php>Christina's Courage - A Disability Poem by Richard M. Deets</a>. Retrieved 2021-05-09, from https://www.disabled-world.com/communication/poetry/christinas-courage.php - Reference: DW#325-8910.