I Am Not - A Poem by Sheila Radziewicz
Author: Sheila Radziewicz
Published: 2011-02-26 : (Rev. 2016-06-12)
Synopsis and Key Points:
I Am Not is a poem written by Sheila Radziewicz that defines her life as a woman with a disability.
"I Am Not" is a poem written by Sheila Radziewicz that defines her life as a woman with a disability.
I AM NOT
Mangled, frail, delicate infant
Weak, poor, ignorant infant, I was NOT!
You did not have the power
to define my fate with Death
Cripple, feeble-minded, pitiful child
Unable, immobile, lame child, I was NOT!
I defied your prediction, then
I deny your position, now
Undetermined, incapable, paralyzed woman
Lessen, negative, powerless woman, I am NOT!
Fear forced your prediction of my Death
Fear created your insecurity
Fear does NOT rule me
Complete, strong, unbreakable infant
bold, healthy, aware infant, I WAS!
I chose to prove you wrong
The power to live was mine
Whole, intelligent, witty, child
Able, mobile, bright child, I WAS!
I believed in myself
I knew success was coming
Determined, capable, secure woman
Brave, confident, powerful woman, I AM!
I fought against your fear
I fought against your insecurity
I chose LIFE when you would Not!
By Sheila Radziewic (c)
- 1 - COVID-19... Leave The World Now! A Poem by Flora Aguasa : Flora Aguasa (2020/03/31)
- 2 - A Voice of a Forlorn Blind Woman : Flora Aguasa (2020/03/31)
- 3 - National Poetry Contest Winners - Disability in the Workplace : Fedcap (2010/04/19)
- 4 - Disability Poem by Nancy Hall : Nancy Hall (2018/11/14)
- 5 - Poems by Flora Aguasa : Flora Aguasa (2018/09/08)
- 6 - Poems: Cranky Old Man : Crabbit Old Woman : A Nurses Reply : Disabled World (2017/01/20)
- 7 - Did Elizabeth Barrett Browning Have Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis : Penn State (2011/12/20)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.