I Am Not - A Poem by Sheila Radziewicz
Published : 2011-02-26 - Updated : 2016-06-12
Author : Sheila Radziewicz
Synopsis* : I Am Not is a poem written by Sheila Radziewicz that defines her life as a woman with a disability.
"I Am Not" is a poem written by Sheila Radziewicz that defines her life as a woman with a disability.
I AM NOT
Mangled, frail, delicate infant
Weak, poor, ignorant infant, I was NOT!
You did not have the power
to define my fate with Death
Cripple, feeble-minded, pitiful child
Unable, immobile, lame child, I was NOT!
I defied your prediction, then
I deny your position, now
Undetermined, incapable, paralyzed woman
Lessen, negative, powerless woman, I am NOT!
Fear forced your prediction of my Death
Fear created your insecurity
Fear does NOT rule me
Complete, strong, unbreakable infant
bold, healthy, aware infant, I WAS!
I chose to prove you wrong
The power to live was mine
Whole, intelligent, witty, child
Able, mobile, bright child, I WAS!
I believed in myself
I knew success was coming
Determined, capable, secure woman
Brave, confident, powerful woman, I AM!
I fought against your fear
I fought against your insecurity
I chose LIFE when you would Not!
By Sheila Radziewic (c)
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, disability sports events, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Related Poetry - Poems Documents
- 1 - A Voice of a Forlorn Blind Woman : A Voice of a Forlorn Blind Woman...October, Please, Leave Me Now and Never Come Back!!! A poem written by Flora Aguasa.
- 2 - COVID-19... Leave The World Now! A Poem by Flora Aguasa : A short poem written by Flora Aguasa, in regards to the current novel coronavirus global pandemic, titled COVID-19... Leave The World Now!.
- 3 - Disability Poem by Nancy Hall : This poem by Nancy Hall shows just how lonely some individuals with disabilities can get as they are often abandoned by those they love the most.
- 4 - Poems by Flora Aguasa : Five poems by Flora Aguasa that relate to being blind, disability, and faith.
- 5 - The Cost of Freedom & I Served My Country by Teresa Gail Carver Godin : The Cost of Freedom and I Served My Country are poems written by Teresa Gail Carver Godin, a 20 year, 100% disabled, Air Force veteran.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Sheila Radziewicz. Electronic Publication Date: 2011-02-26 - Revised: 2016-06-12. Title: I Am Not - A Poem by Sheila Radziewicz, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/communication/poetry/i-am-not.php>I Am Not - A Poem by Sheila Radziewicz</a>. Retrieved 2021-05-09, from https://www.disabled-world.com/communication/poetry/i-am-not.php - Reference: DW#325-7085.