I Am Not - A Poem by Sheila Radziewicz
- Publish Date: 2011/02/26 - (Rev. 2016/06/12)
- Author: Sheila Radziewicz
Outline: I Am Not is a poem written by Sheila Radziewicz that defines her life as a woman with a disability.
"I Am Not" is a poem written by Sheila Radziewicz that defines her life as a woman with a disability.
I AM NOT
Mangled, frail, delicate infant
Weak, poor, ignorant infant, I was NOT!
You did not have the power
to define my fate with Death
Cripple, feeble-minded, pitiful child
Unable, immobile, lame child, I was NOT!
I defied your prediction, then
I deny your position, now
Undetermined, incapable, paralyzed woman
Lessen, negative, powerless woman, I am NOT!
Fear forced your prediction of my Death
Fear created your insecurity
Fear does NOT rule me
Complete, strong, unbreakable infant
bold, healthy, aware infant, I WAS!
I chose to prove you wrong
The power to live was mine
Whole, intelligent, witty, child
Able, mobile, bright child, I WAS!
I believed in myself
I knew success was coming
Determined, capable, secure woman
Brave, confident, powerful woman, I AM!
I fought against your fear
I fought against your insecurity
I chose LIFE when you would Not!
By Sheila Radziewic (c)
- 1 - National Poetry Contest Winners - Disability in the Workplace | Fedcap | 2010/04/19
- 2 - Disability Poem by Nancy Hall | Nancy Hall | 2018/11/14
- 3 - Poems by Flora Aguasa | Flora Aguasa | 2018/09/08
- 4 - Poems: Cranky Old Man : Crabbit Old Woman : A Nurses Reply | Disabled World | 2017/01/20
- 5 - Did Elizabeth Barrett Browning Have Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis | Penn State | 2011/12/20
- 6 - The Cost of Freedom & I Served My Country by Teresa Gail Carver Godin | Teresa Gail Carver Godin | 2018/01/12
- 7 - Capturing Disease Through Poetry | Katherine Russell | 2012/07/20
- 8 - Poetry by Iain Stephen | Iain Stephen | 2017/06/14