If I Live to be an Old Man - Poem
Author: Kenneth Nye
Synopsis and Key Points:
Poem composed by Kenneth Nye titled If I Live to be an Old Man relating to Parkinsons disease.
Main DigestPoem composed by Kenneth Nye titled "If I Live to be an Old Man" relating to Parkinson's disease.
If I live to be an old man
and end up in a wheel chair or bedridden
with parkinson's disease, I will still play basketball with my fellow jocks,
ride my bicycle on beautiful summer mornings in maine
when the traffic is light and I can still hear bobolinks
in the meadow down by the mud flats.
I will still climb katahdin every summer,
take the roaring brook trail up to chimney pond
and the cathedral trail up to the summit
and marvel at the magnificent panorama
laid out below me.
I will still play ball with my beloved dogs,
always using two balls so they will forever
want the one they don't have and
give me the one they do.
I will still pull gum balls out of little kids' ears,
show them how I can catch in my hand
the sound of a plucked silver fork,
carry the sound across the table
and drop it into a goblet.
If I live to be an old man, I expect parkinson's is going to
give me some trouble.
But it will not tell me
how I can and cannot use my time,
and it is
going to tell me I can't dream.
And I'm not.
- 1 - COVID-19... Leave The World Now! A Poem by Flora Aguasa : Flora Aguasa (2020/03/31)
- 2 - A Voice of a Forlorn Blind Woman : Flora Aguasa (2020/03/31)
- 3 - National Poetry Contest Winners - Disability in the Workplace : Fedcap (2010/04/19)
- 4 - Disability Poem by Nancy Hall : Nancy Hall (2018/11/14)
- 5 - Poems by Flora Aguasa : Flora Aguasa (2018/09/08)
- 6 - Poems: Cranky Old Man : Crabbit Old Woman : A Nurses Reply : Disabled World (2017/01/20)
- 7 - Did Elizabeth Barrett Browning Have Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis : Penn State (2011/12/20)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.