If I Live to be an Old Man - Poem
Published : 2011-01-20
Author : Kenneth Nye
Synopsis* : Poem composed by Kenneth Nye titled If I Live to be an Old Man relating to Parkinsons disease.
Main DigestPoem composed by Kenneth Nye titled "If I Live to be an Old Man" relating to Parkinson's disease.
If I live to be an old man
and end up in a wheel chair or bedridden
with parkinson's disease, I will still play basketball with my fellow jocks,
ride my bicycle on beautiful summer mornings in maine
when the traffic is light and I can still hear bobolinks
in the meadow down by the mud flats.
I will still climb katahdin every summer,
take the roaring brook trail up to chimney pond
and the cathedral trail up to the summit
and marvel at the magnificent panorama
laid out below me.
I will still play ball with my beloved dogs,
always using two balls so they will forever
want the one they don't have and
give me the one they do.
I will still pull gum balls out of little kids' ears,
show them how I can catch in my hand
the sound of a plucked silver fork,
carry the sound across the table
and drop it into a goblet.
If I live to be an old man, I expect parkinson's is going to
give me some trouble.
But it will not tell me
how I can and cannot use my time,
and it is
going to tell me I can't dream.
And I'm not.
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, disability sports events, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Related Poetry - Poems Documents
- 1 - A Voice of a Forlorn Blind Woman : A Voice of a Forlorn Blind Woman...October, Please, Leave Me Now and Never Come Back!!! A poem written by Flora Aguasa.
- 2 - COVID-19... Leave The World Now! A Poem by Flora Aguasa : A short poem written by Flora Aguasa, in regards to the current novel coronavirus global pandemic, titled COVID-19... Leave The World Now!.
- 3 - Disability Poem by Nancy Hall : This poem by Nancy Hall shows just how lonely some individuals with disabilities can get as they are often abandoned by those they love the most.
- 4 - Poems by Flora Aguasa : Five poems by Flora Aguasa that relate to being blind, disability, and faith.
- 5 - The Cost of Freedom & I Served My Country by Teresa Gail Carver Godin : The Cost of Freedom and I Served My Country are poems written by Teresa Gail Carver Godin, a 20 year, 100% disabled, Air Force veteran.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Kenneth Nye. Electronic Publication Date: 2011-01-20. Title: If I Live to be an Old Man - Poem, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/communication/poetry/old-man.php>If I Live to be an Old Man - Poem</a>. Retrieved 2021-05-09, from https://www.disabled-world.com/communication/poetry/old-man.php - Reference: DW#325-6684.