I Will Win - A Poem About Parkinson's Disease Diagnosis
Author: Kenneth Nye
Synopsis and Key Points:
I Will Win is a Poem Submitted by Kenneth Nye Relating to Parkinson's Disease Diagnosis.
Main DigestI Will Win is a Poem Submitted by Kenneth Nye Relating to Parkinson's Disease Diagnosis.
It begins as nothing more than
a feeling that something is wrong.
(Wonderful, how the body talks to you.)
At first. there are things I can't identify.
Then, reaching for a napkin, I see it---
a ratcheting of my unfolding arm
as I extend it across the table.
Sitting on his examination stool,
the doctor wheels over to
look me in the eye.
"Mr. Nye, you have Parkinson's disease."
It doesn't register.
"Parkinson's is a chronic, progressive disease...."
Is he talking about me
A chronic disease.
It has no cure
A progressive disease.
It will get worse
It doesn't register.....at first.
When it does, there is no future.
Nothing is fun.
What's the point
But in time I learn that
feeling sorry for myself
doesn't make me feel any better;
that there is
I can do
to make it go away.
So I learn to live with it,
live around it,
occasionally tell it to go do something
show it off and then put it to shame.
It's like living with a roommate
I can't stand.
And I learn that the only way
is to treat it with disdain,
to concede lost ground but to shrug it off,
to use it as a lesson in biology and anatomy,
and as evidence of the miracle
of the human body.
And I also learn that my world,
even with Parkinson's,
is gloriously full
of family and friends,
love and devotion,
beauty wherever I look,
and, always and everywhere,
This is not a battle of the flesh.
This is a battle of the spirit.
So, as the years move along
and my chronic, progressive companion
continues to weedle his way into my life,
I will adjust
with a shrug.
And I will win.
- 1 - COVID-19... Leave The World Now! A Poem by Flora Aguasa : Flora Aguasa (2020/03/31)
- 2 - A Voice of a Forlorn Blind Woman : Flora Aguasa (2020/03/31)
- 3 - National Poetry Contest Winners - Disability in the Workplace : Fedcap (2010/04/19)
- 4 - Disability Poem by Nancy Hall : Nancy Hall (2018/11/14)
- 5 - Poems by Flora Aguasa : Flora Aguasa (2018/09/08)
- 6 - Poems: Cranky Old Man : Crabbit Old Woman : A Nurses Reply : Disabled World (2017/01/20)
- 7 - Did Elizabeth Barrett Browning Have Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis : Penn State (2011/12/20)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.