Disability News: United States and Americas
Disabled World (disabled-world.com)
Revised/Updated: Friday, 7th December 2018
Synopsis and Key Points:
Recent disability news and information for the USA and surrounding Americas, includes updates on U.S. disabilities such as facts, statistics, rules and law changes.
Today an estimated 39,395,000 people in the United States had a disability, or 14.8% of the population age 5 and over. The number of U.S. adults reporting a disability increased by 3.4 million between 1999 and 2005. 12.1% of the U.S. Adult Population Aged 21-64 Years Reported a Disability in 2008.
In addition, an estimated 7,092,000 people, or 2.7% of the U.S. population 5 and over, have difficulty performing self-care activities, also known as Activities of Daily Living, such as dressing, bathing, or getting around inside the home.
The Social Security Administration estimates that 3 in 10 of today's 20-year-olds will suffer a disability before reaching 67 and also reports 69% of the private sector work force has no long-term disability insurance. Essentially, 7 out of 10 workers would have to rely on their own personal savings, limited state-run insurance or Social Security for replacement income in the event they could not work because of a disability.
Statue of Liberty, New York, America on a foggy morning - Photo by Luke Stackpoole on Unsplash
U.S. Disability Statistics
- U.S. Disability Statistics by State, County, City and Age
- Number of Americans with Disability by Age and Type
- U.S. Life Expectancy Statistics Chart by States
- Population of Cities and Towns in the U.S. (PDF)
- Disability in America Infographic
Disabled U.S. Veterans
In the year 2008, an estimated 16.9 percent (plus or minus 0.20 percentage points) of non-institutionalized civilian veterans aged 21 to 64 years reported having a VA service-connected disability in the United States. In other words, 2,217,000 out of 13,102,700 non-institutionalized civilian veterans aged 21 to 64 years reported having a VA service-connected disability in the United States in 2008 (U.S. Veteran Facts and Statistics).
- See our Veteran News: Information and Assistance Programs - which provides health and disability news for veterans from around the world.
- Also see: Disability Information and Statistics for Central America and Mexico - Disability information and statistics for Mexico and the seven countries that make up Central America.
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
- 1 - 2nd Round of Changes to Support Healthcare system During COVID-19 Pandemic : Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) (2020/04/30)
- 2 - Action to Support Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities during the COVID-19 Pandemic : NJ Department of Human Services (2020/04/30)
- 3 - Millions of Americans with Disabilities Cannot Get Food During Pandemic : RespectAbility (2020/04/11)
- 4 - Disability Discrimination Complaint Filed Over COVID-19 Treatment Rationing Plan in Washington State : Alexandra Deas, Communications Coordinator, Disability Rights Washington : Kristin Wright, Senior Communications Manager, The Arc (2020/03/24)
- 5 - Trump Seeks to Slash Social Security Benefits for Disabled : Arizona Democratic Party (2020/01/15)
- 6 - ILCSC 43 Years of Independence - Awards Dinner a Big Success : Marcella Hernandez (2019/11/24)
- 7 - JAR 914: Father Declares War on Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy : Jim Raffone (2019/11/19)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.