U.S. Department of Social Security Mobile Site for Smartphone Users
Author: U.S. Social Security Administration
Smartphone visitors to the mobile site can learn how to create a personal my Social Security account to get online Social Security Statements.
Main DigestSocial Security Announces New Mobile Site for Smartphone Users - Agency Leverages Technology to Meet Customer Service Expectations.
Smartphone - A mobile phone built on a mobile operating system, with more advanced computing capability and connectivity than a feature phone. The mobile operating systems (OS) used by modern smartphones include Google's Android, Apple's iOS, Nokia's Symbian, RIM's BlackBerry OS, Samsung's Bada, Microsoft's Windows Phone, Hewlett-Packard's webOS, and embedded Linux distributions such as Maemo and MeeGo.
Carolyn W. Colvin, Acting Commissioner of Social Security, announced the agency is offering a new mobile optimized website, specifically aimed at smartphone users across the country. People visiting the agency's website, www.socialsecurity.gov, via smartphone (Android, Blackberry, iPhone, and Windows devices) will be redirected to the agency's new mobile-friendly site. Once there, visitors can access a mobile version of Social Security's Frequently Asked Questions, an interactive Social Security number (SSN) decision tree to help people identify documents needed for a new/replacement SSN card, and mobile publications which they can listen to in both English and Spanish right on their phone.
"We are committed to meeting the changing needs of the American people and the launch of our new mobile site helps reinforce our online presence and adaptability to advances in technology," Acting Commissioner Colvin said. "I encourage all smartphone users looking for Social Security information to take advantage of our new mobile site."
In addition, visitors to the new mobile site can learn how to create a personal my Social Security account to get an online Social Security Statement, learn more about Social Security's award-winning online services, and connect with Social Security on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Pinterest.
For people unable to complete their Social Security business online or over the telephone, the agency also unveiled a new mobile field office locator. The new mobile office locator has the capability to provide turn-by-turn directions to the nearest Social Security office based on information entered by the person.
"With significant budget cuts of nearly a billion dollars each year over the last few years, we must continue to leverage technology and find more innovative ways to meet the evolving needs of the American public without compromising service," said Acting Commissioner Colvin.
Each year, more than 35 million Social Security web page views come via smartphones. For more information, please go to www.socialsecurity.gov
- 1 - No COLA Likely For 2021 Social Security Benefits Lose 30% of Buying Power Since 2000 : The Senior Citizens League (TSCL) (2020/05/12)
- 2 - Social Security Compassionate Allowance Conditions List : Disabled World (2009/02/24)
- 3 - Fibromyalgia and Social Security Disability Benefit Payments : Jeffrey A. Rabin & Assoc (2010/06/26)
- 4 - U.S. Social Security Urged to Suspend All Continuing Disability Reviews Due to COVID-19 : United States Senator Sherrod Brown (2020/03/19)
- 5 - Due to COVID-19 Social Security Offices to Provide Phone and Online Services Only : United States Social Security Administration (2020/03/16)
- 6 - Social Security National Slam the Scam Day : U.S. Social Security Administration (2020/03/05)
- 7 - Social Security Removes Inability to Communicate in English as Disability Benefit Factor : U.S. Social Security Administration (2020/02/24)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.