International Freeride Competition for 2014 Winter Games
Author: Sochi 214
Published: 2009-01-19 : (Rev. 2009-01-28)
Sochi host of 2014 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games welcomed worlds finest extreme skiers and snowboarders as part of the Freeride World Tour 2009.
Main DigestSochi, the host of the 2014 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, has welcomed the world's finest extreme skiers and snowboarders as part of the Freeride World Tour 2009: the first competition of the high-octane international freeride season.
Great mountains, fresh snow and sunshine see 'Russian Adventure' hailed a success.
Sochi, the host of the 2014 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, has welcomed the world's finest extreme skiers and snowboarders as part of the Freeride World Tour 2009: the first competition of the high-octane international freeride season.
With large amounts of fresh snow and sunshine, 56 male and female riders from Argentina, Austria, Finland, France, Germany, Norway, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland and the USA, hit Sochi's Krasnaya Polyana Mountains for the elite competition, which demands high quality snow conditions and good weather because of the extreme nature of the sport.
The conditions, atmosphere and facilities drew praise among the elite athletes and organizers, who wowed crowds in Sochi at the 'Russian Adventure' event of the Freeride World Tour between 20 and 25 January.
The final results of the competition saw Sverre Liliequist from Sweden take the men's ski prize, with the USA's Jess McMillan hailed as the women's ski champion. The men's snowboard was won by Cyril Neri of Switzerland and the women's snowboard title awarded to exciting debutante, Aline Bock from Germany.
Just two weeks earlier, Russia's President, Dmitry Medvedev, and Prime Minister, Vladimir Putin, took to the slopes in Krasnaya Polyana while holidaying in Sochi. The site of the 2014 Winter Games is fast emerging as a new haven for winter sports enthusiasts. Development for Russia's winter sports center of excellence is moving quickly in the mountains, and construction for all Olympic venues will be underway by the end of 2009.
Dmitry Chernyshenko, President and CEO of Sochi 2014, said:
"Having world's top freeriders battling it out in Sochi is really helping to showcase Sochi as the top winter sports location it is fast becoming. The reality is that winter sports are here right now in Sochi and each day, month and year until 2014 will see tremendous progress towards an inspirational Winter Games at a superb resort that all can enjoy."
Veronika Sorokina, one of the Russian competitors in Sochi, said:
"For me, this event in my home country is wonderful because there are riders here that you only see in the magazines and on TV. To have them here is great... Today, I saw lots of smiling faces on the slopes and it was a real pleasure."
Elyse Saugstad, the American winner of the Freeride World Tour 2008, said before the competition:
"This mountain has incredible runs; we are really anxious to ride it. The energy here is great... we are all ready to go for it. The conditions are perfect for the best to win!"
The Freeride World Tour brings together male and female skiers and snowboarders who travel the world seeking the Freeride World Champion title. Sochi was chosen as the location for the first event of the 2009 season. The four event tour moves to Squaw Valley, USA from 27 February to 5 March; Tignes, France from 8 to 14 March; and finishes in Verbier, Switzerland from 20 to 29 March.
- 1 - IPC Spectacular - Sochi 2014 Highlights Video Clip : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2014/06/18)
- 2 - 2014 Paralympic Games Sochi Russia Events and News : Disabled World (2009/01/31)
- 3 - Sochi 2014 Winter Games Shares Vancouver's Olympic Fever : sochi2014.com (2009/02/08)
- 4 - 2 Billion People Watched the Sochi 2014 Paralympics on TV : The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2014/07/04)
- 5 - Sochi 2014 Joins UNEP Climate Neutral Network : sochi2014.com (2009/02/12)
- 6 - Sochi 2014 Winter Games on Track : Sochi 2014 (2009/03/29)
- 7 - Sochi 2014 Reports on Winter Games Progress : Sochi 2014 (2009/03/24)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.