Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games: Para-badminton Now Included
Published : 2014-10-09 - Updated : 2016-06-22
Author : EFDS - English Federation of Disability Sport - Contact: www.efds.co.uk
🛈 Synopsis : Para-badminton will make its debut at the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games after the first 16 sports to be accepted were confirmed.
The International Paralympic Committee's Governing Board made the announcement following a meeting in Berlin, and ensures that para-badminton will feature at the 2020 Paralympic Games for the very first time.
The IPC praised para-badminton for submitting a "very strong" application after missing out four years ago.
Derek Batchelor, Chair of BADMINTON England and the National Para-Badminton Committee, said:
"This is tremendous news. It's three months earlier than we expected but we were very happy for it to be accepted as a Paralympic sport in the first 16 sports selected. I think that the case for the inclusion of para-badminton was just so strong that the decision was taken earlier than expected, which was fantastic news. It would have been difficult to turn down to be honest. This is the culmination of lots of work by lots of people. We won't know for a while yet which classifications are to be included but at least we've got over the major hurdle and now the hard work starts on how we move forward from here."
Sir Philip Craven, IPC President, said:
"I would like to congratulate the 16 sports that we have already confirmed will be included in the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games, in particular badminton, who after missing out four years ago, submitted a very strong application. This has been an extensive and rigorous review process and all sports were assessed against the same criteria."
BWF President Poul-Erik Hoyer, who recently led a delegation to present badminton's case for inclusion to the IPC, said:
"On behalf of the Badminton World Federation, I would like to thank the IPC Governing Board for this landmark opportunity which they have given to athletes with impairments in the badminton community. Today is a dream come true for so many talented competitors who have shone on the badminton courts and who have yearned to do so at the highest level of sport for para-athletes. We have worked hard in their name and for their cause and we are humbled and honoured by this decision that will bring joy to so many of our players."
Earlier this year BADMINTON England organized the Para-Badminton International in Loughborough, one of the main events in the BWF's para-badminton calendar.
The tournament saw England's para-badminton stars secure four gold and five silver medals across a range of classifications.
The Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games will be held from 25 August - 6 September 2020.
BADMINTON England is the National Governing Body for badminton in England, dedicated to promoting the sport of badminton by enabling more people to play badminton and giving those with talent the opportunity to fulfill their potential.
Related 2020 Tokyo Documents
- 1: COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games : The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) Governing Board discuss impact of COVID-19 pandemic across the Paralympic Movement, including the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games.
- 2: I'mPOSSIBLE Award : Call for Nominations Launched : Agitos Foundation launches call for nominations for I'mPOSSIBLE Award, to be presented at the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games Closing Ceremony.
- 3: Wheelchair Basketball May be Removed Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games : IPC warns International Wheelchair Basketball Federation of possible removal of wheelchair basketball from upcoming Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games.
- 4: Tickets for 2020 Tokyo Paralympics On-sale from 5th September 2019 : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) announce international tickets and packages for the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games will be available from Thursday 5th September 2019.
- 5: Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games will Transform Japan : Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games will transform Japanese society and significantly raise awareness of and advance Sustainable Development Goals according to IPC Chief Marketing and Communications Officer Craig Spence.
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also follow Disabled World on social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: EFDS - English Federation of Disability Sport. Electronic Publication Date: 2014-10-09 - Revised: 2016-06-22. Title: Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games: Para-badminton Now Included, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/sports/paralympics/2020/para-badminton.php>Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games: Para-badminton Now Included</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-12, from https://www.disabled-world.com/sports/paralympics/2020/para-badminton.php - Reference: DW#495-10671.