Walmart Foundation Fights Senior Hunger with $5M Donation
Author: Walmart Foundation
Synopsis and Key Points:
The Walmart Foundation today announced a $5 million grant to Meals On Wheels Association of America to help fight senior hunger.
Main DigestGrant to Meals On Wheels Association of America to Provide Funding for More Than 100 Senior Nutrition Programs in Local Communities Nationwide.
The Walmart Foundation today announced a $5 million grant to Meals On Wheels Association of America (MOWAA) to help fight senior hunger in communities across the nation. Through the grant, MOWAA will boost the efforts of Senior Nutrition Programs (SNPs), organizations that provide critical services to more than six million seniors in the U.S. currently facing the threat of hunger.
"We know that seniors are among those hardest hit by hunger in this country. Many are home-bound, and rely on neighbors and community volunteer programs like Meals On Wheels to help put food on the table," said Margaret McKenna, president of the Walmart Foundation. "Through this $5 million grant, we hope to bring additional attention to senior hunger and help ensure our parents, grandparents and friends who have added so much to our lives have access to healthy and nutritious food."
Part of Walmart's $2 billion commitment to support hunger relief efforts through 2015, MOWAA will use the funding in several ways, including:
Funding "Walmart Foundation-MOWAA Building the Future Grants" to help more than 100 local Meals On Wheels programs purchase stoves, refrigerators, trucks and other equipment needed in the fight to end senior hunger in local communities;
Forming the Walmart Institute for Senior Nutrition Education, a new training initiative consisting of Senior Nutrition Certificate program training sessions and online resources for senior nutrition professionals and the general public;
Creating the MOWAA State-Affiliate Training Wheels Program to help organize additional MOWAA affiliated State Associations across the U.S.
The announcement comes on MOWAA's Mayors for Meals day when more than 1,000 mayors and other elected officials ride along with MOWAA drivers to deliver meals to seniors in need in local communities across the country. Many seniors struggle with hunger because of a lack of resources to access or prepare food due to limits in transportation, mobility or health problems. MOWAA's Member programs have the ability to deliver much needed nutritious meals directly to seniors, which makes the organization a valued partner in Walmart's effort to help end hunger.
"At Meals On Wheels, our goal is to deliver meals so that no senior goes hungry," said Enid Borden, president and CEO of Meals On Wheels Association of America. "We are thankful to Walmart and appreciate their assistance as a long-standing partner in our efforts to reduce and ultimately end senior hunger in the U.S. With this grant and their continued support, we will be able to make a difference for the thousands of seniors in America who are going to bed hungry right now."
Later this spring, the recipients of the Walmart Foundation-MOWAA Building the Future Grants will be announced. For more information, visit www.walmartfoundation.org or www.walmart.com/fightinghunger
About Meals On Wheels - The Meals On Wheels Association of America (MOWAA) is the oldest and largest national organization in the United States representing those programs that provide meals to people in need. To obtain more information about MOWAA or to locate a local Meals On Wheels program, visit the MOWAA website at www.mowaa.org.
About Philanthropy at Walmart - Walmart and the Walmart Foundation are proud to support the charitable causes that are important to customers and associates in their own neighborhoods. The Walmart Foundation funds initiatives focused on education, workforce development, economic opportunity, environmental sustainability, and health and wellness. From Feb. 1, 2009 through Jan. 31, 2010, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation gave more than $512 million in cash and in-kind gifts globally, $467 million of which was donated in the U.S. To learn more, visit www.walmartfoundation.org
- 1 - From the Street to the Streets : Fighting for Rights of Disabled : Advocates for Individuals with Disabilities (2016/10/30)
- 2 - Veteran Organizations Dominate Most Inquired About Charities : New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs (2012/08/02)
- 3 - 9 Year Old Girl Inspired by Brothers Illness Hosts Lemonade Stand : Tampa General Hospital (2017/08/03)
- 4 - Year of Making a Difference Program to Benefit Charities : Gallop Law Firm (2012/01/04)
- 5 - Donors Contributed 1,147 Home Health Items to St. Louis HELP Equipment Drive : St. Louis HELP (2015/10/26)
- 6 - St. Louis HELP Medical Equipment Donation Drive Generates Record-Breaking Results : St. Louis HELP (2018/05/16)
- 7 - Auction of Robin Williams' Bicycle Collection to Benefit CAF and Reeve Foundation : Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation (2016/10/20)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.