The communities on this list were chosen with great consideration, research and valuable insight gained by on-site tours of every community by 55places.com staff.
55 Places knows that people have different perceptions as to what makes a community the "best."
Most people want a community that is in a good location near daily conveniences and attractions, offers affordable newer homes, has world-class amenities and promotes a well-rounded lifestyle.
We also took into account the community's popularity based upon analytics on 55places.com that measured the quantity of visitors to each community page, as well as how many people filled out the contact form and requested more information regarding each community.
Our expansive analysis, both in-person and through objective research helped us create rankings for 11 different categories.
Using a scientific approach the data was compiled to produce an unbiased list of the best active adult communities in America.
As you look through this year's list, you may notice a few surprises.
Del Webb Naples made the list this year as number 20 because it has seen a huge rise in popularity due to its new 36,000 square-foot clubhouse and extensive amenities. In addition Del Webb Sweetgrass in Texas made the list this year as number 22 for its large clubhouse, affordable new homes, and ideal location.
We know that what is the "best" for one person isn't always perfect for another.
Only you can decide if a particular community has what it takes to be your number one choice. But we hope this list helps you narrow your search to discover the best active adult community for you.
Here are The 55 Best Active Adult Communities in America for 2015:
1. The Villages - The Villages, FL
The Villages comes in again as the number one community. It is one of the largest age-restricted active adult communities in the world and has even grown into its own thriving town. To help homeowners energize their body, mind and spirit, The Villages provides the amenities, programs and personal support residents need for holistic health and wellness, conveniently located right where they live. The Villages offers countless amenities, including dozens of recreation centers, golf courses, shopping centers, swimming pools and much more. With spectacular scenic beauty, lavish resort-style amenities and appealing affordable homes, it's easy to see why The Villages continues to be a popular destination for active adult retirees.
2. Sun City Hilton Head - Bluffton, SC
It's no surprise that Sun City Hilton Head held its spot as the number two community. As the largest age-restricted community in South Carolina, it offers a prime destination for active adults aged 50 and better in the beautiful city of Bluffton. Residents can enjoy 54 holes of golf and a smorgasbord of additional amenities that make living in a resort town feel as natural as the native environment itself. When it comes to homes, buyers can choose from a wide range of single-family and attached designs with plans for over 8,000 homes. Residing in Sun City Hilton Head, puts residents within easy access of world-class resorts and offers a world of resort-style amenities within their own community gates.
3. On Top of the World - Ocala, FL
In the heart of Central Florida, On Top of the World is an extensive resort-style community known for its remarkable amenities. This includes three 18-hole golf courses, multiple clubhouses, indoor and outdoor swimming pools and facilities to support a wide range of recreational and fitness-related activities. Homebuyers of this 10,000-home community can select from intimate villas all the way to stately homes with magnificent golf course views. In addition, the scenic setting in Ocala features rolling hills and ancient oaks, as well as a close proximity to shops, restaurants, equestrian centers, parks and other attractions. For those 55 and better who crave a life full of adventure, On Top of the World is the ultimate place to call home.
4. Sun City Summerlin - Las Vegas, NV
With 7,779 homes, Sun City Summerlin is the largest 55+ community in Nevada. Its 2,400 acres of picturesque grounds offer sweeping views of the Las Vegas Strip and the surrounding mountains. Built by Del Webb from 1989 to 1999, Sun City Summerlin offers a variety of beautiful homes including 18 attached models and 24 single-family home models. There is never a shortage of opportunities to enjoy everything the community has to offer with four amenity-rich clubhouses. Here, residents have the opportunity to be a part of a community that cultivates well-rounded lifestyles.
5. Solivita - Kissimmee, FL
Solivita jumped up to number five because of its affordability, prime location, and desirable lifestyle. It was also a very popular choice for visitors on 55places.com. This Tuscan-themed, golf course community enjoys a prime location in Central Florida just 35 miles south of Orlando. Spread across 4,300 acres, homeowners appreciate 148,000 square feet of recreational amenities including restaurants, fitness centers, hobby and game rooms, swimming pools, sports courts and golf courses. The award-winning community features nearly 6,000 residences amid exquisite scenic lakes and tranquil wooded preserves. Solivita truly is the perfect place to live greater than your age with over 80 floor plans to choose from, and inspiring amenities and activities.
6. Sun City Carolina Lakes - Fort Mill, SC
7. Sun City Huntley - Huntley, IL
8. Sun City Anthem - Henderson, NV
9. Sun City Texas - Georgetown, TX
10. Stone Creek - Ocala, FL
11. Sun City Grand - Surprise, AZ
12. Carolina Preserve - Cary, NC
13. Laguna Woods Village - Laguna Woods, CA
14. Sun City Center - Sun City Center, FL
15. Sun City West - Sun City West, AZ
16. Kings Point - Sun City Center, FL
17. Lake Providence - Mt. Juliet, TN
18. Sun City - Sun City, AZ
19. Del Webb Ponte Vedra - Ponte Vedra, FL
20. Del Webb Naples - Ave Maria, FL
21. Village at Deaton Creek - Hoschton, GA
22. Del Webb Sweetgrass - Richmond, TX
23. Carillon - Plainfield, IL
24. Timber Pines - Spring Hill, FL
25. Sun City Palm Desert - Palm Desert, CA
26. Pelican Preserve - Fort Myers, FL
27. Rossmoor - Walnut Creek, CA
28. Del Webb Charleston - Summerville, SC
29. Sun City Peachtree - Griffin, GA
30. Sun City Lincoln Hills - Lincoln, CA
31. Sweetwater - Jacksonville, FL
32. Sun City Roseville- Roseville, CA
33. SunRiver St. George - St. George, UT
34. The Plantation At Leesburg - Leesburg, FL
35. Valencia Lakes - Wimauma, FL
36. Southshore Falls - Apollo Beach, FL
37. Sun City Mesquite - Mesquite, NV
38. Lakeside Crossing- Conway, SC
39. Frisco Lakes - Frisco, TX
40. Heritage Isle - Viera, FL
41. Carillon Club - Naperville, IL
42. Four Seasons at Beaumont - Beaumont, CA
43. Oak Run - Ocala, FL
44. Del Webb Orlando - Davenport, FL
45. Cresswind at Lake Lanier - Gainesville, GA
46. Tampa Bay Golf and Country Club - San Antonio, FL
47. Robson Ranch - Denton, TX
48. Spruce Creek Country Club - Summerfield, FL
49. Sun City Shadow Hills - Indio, CA
50. Hill Country Retreat - San Antonio, TX
51. Anthem Ranch - Broomfield, CO
52. Ocala Palms - Ocala, FL
53. King Isles - Port St. Lucie, FL
54. Canal Walk - Somerset, NJ
55. Trilogy at Glen Ivy - Corona, CA
4 - American College research finds 82% of caregivers concerned about not having enough money to last for their special needs relative's entire lifetime - Two thirds of children with disabilities risk losing health benefits as they age...